Microsoft Office has ruined my computer!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by picklesunshine, Oct 6, 2008.

1. picklesunshine macrumors newbie

I installed microsoft office 2008 for the Mac on my lapbook running OSX and since then safari is just a blur. Half the page doesn't load and the other half is gibberish and symbols.

It doesnt matter what website I go to. Most of the page doesnt load and you can't read the rest.

Anyone else have this problem or any suggetions?

Thanks-

Very Unhappy in NJ

2. G5power macrumors 6502

Do you have another browser such as Firefox installed?

If so how is it working.

MS Office shouldn't have any impact on Safari.

Does everything else display normally?

3. picklesunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Firefox at the moment will not load.

Safari was working fine until the moment we installed Microsoft office so I figure that has the be the reason it is not working now.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sounds like you've got bigger problems than just MS office. I'd consider a fresh install of the entire OS.

5. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Microsoft ;-(

Not really sure whats causing that, tried re installing?

6. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

did you resolve the duplicate fonts? I had an issue with Safari after office until I fixed the fonts.

7. picklesunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple website and I tunes work just fine. PBS Kids works fine. Comcast and webkinz barely load and/or you cant read what loaded.

I think I may just take it to geek squad and let them fix it.

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

It kills me that Micro$oft has found a way onto our OSX hard drives. But I digress, Office:2008 is absolutely necessary for Word and Excel. They also make me install Messenger and Entourage and removing these 'breaks' the ability to upgrade.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

10. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

What do you mean they "make you?" When doing a custom install of Office 2008, I only install Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

Also, the chances of Office screwing up your computer the way you described is very slim. As others stated, your computer was likely already messed up before installing Office. (You know, since Macs don't always just work.) I'd recommend doing an archive & install.

11. nadyne macrumors 6502a

First, try rebooting your computer. If you had Safari open when you installed Office, and if the website that you were viewing was using an Office font, it's possible that Safari is now having issues getting to the right font. A reboot should fix that.

If that doesn't solve your problem, go into Font Book (it's on your Applications directory). From the Edit menu, click on "Resolve Duplicates". It's possible that you got yourself into a situation with duplicate fonts somehow.

Regards,
    Nadyne.