Microsoft office on 2g iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Redepmtion, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Redepmtion macrumors newbie

I was wondering if there was a way to edit or at least view word, powerpoint and excel files on the 2nd gen iPod touch, through an application or other means. Being a student, reviewing notes on the go would come in handy. Thanks in advance

2. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

I believe you can open word, excel, and pdf files on the ipod touch without any apps.

3. Redepmtion thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, well in that case how do I get them onto the iPod through iTunes?

4. dmcman73 macrumors newbie

You could always email the documents to yourself if you have an email account set up on the touch.

5. Redepmtion thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't seem to be working. There is no other way?

6. gusto5 macrumors member

Air Sharing, and there are other ones under "productivity"

7. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Not sure why. It works fine for me all the time. You just mail yourself the Word or Excel document and then read it in Mail on your Touch. You can also upload the document to Google Documents and read it in Safari on your Touch. Or like Gusto said, install the free Air Sharing app from the App Store. It works great also.

8. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Sometimes attachments on my iPod do not save correctly. I use and reccommend MobileFinder. It's $1.99 but I find it better than AirSharing, and you can create and edit .txt files, so you can change notes if they are saved in that format.

9. rayguy macrumors newbie

Check out the App Store...I like "Files"

Check out the app store. I use "Files". It acts like a server. You start the app on your Touch, then go to Finder window, "GO" and "Connect to Server". Window pops up, you enter the server number from the app and then you simply drag items from computer finder window to the Touch. Supposed to work with Windows, haven't tried. The only down side is that it needs a wireless network to work....which may be good or bad.

I open pdf, work, excel all no problem. Best $5 I ever spent.

Of course, there are other options on the store.

R

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Mail on the iPhone/iPod touch can open Word, Excel and Powerpoint files. There is no way to edit them directly on the phone/iPod as yet.

There are a number of applications designed for getting files onto the iPod/iPhone but again, you won't be able to edit Office documents on the device.

11. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

If you have emailed the Office documents to yourself, can you then store them on the iPod Touch in an appropriately named folder?

Thanks.