iPad Pro Microsoft Office on the iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by evrard, Nov 25, 2015.

1. evrard macrumors regular

evrard

Has anyone had any extensive use with using Office on the iPad Pro? If so could you talk about your experience with it. I'm specifically interested in using Word and Excel.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. evrard thread starter macrumors regular

evrard

Is it as easy to use as its desktop counterpart?

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Easier. It's quite a different experience. I wouldn't compare it to the desktop apps.

5. rwp macrumors member

After so long with so little attention, the new Office 2016 apps for both Mac and iPad are genuinely worthy upgrades. I bought a family 365 subscription, installed it on all our macs and iPads, and haven't looked back.

6. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Microsoft has really done a great job with MS Office - since I use it at work and have an Office 365 subscription shared among my family, it is only natural I'd want to use it on my mobile devices ...and it really delivers. Sure I can't integrate with my statistics programs like R or JMP, nor can I do VBA stuff ... but as a general on the go tool it is quite useful.

7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I also have a 365 subscription, and the Office apps are great in my opinion. They are not 100% fully featured; there are little things here and there that are missing, but I couldn't enumerate what those missing features are off the top of my head. For my day-to-day use, though, I find Word and Excel to be pretty equivalent to the desktop apps, and touch-friendly to boot.

8. Farrellcollie macrumors regular

I tried it but couldn't bear it because of lack of trackpad/mouse. I am not saying others will have this trouble - but for me it was quite awkward and not worth it.

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I'm totally with you.

Im definitely confused how a touch interface is somehow better for people in something like Excel. Screen size on IPP, yes...very nice, but touch interface...not for me. I am obviously a different animal it would seem.

Precise keyboard and mouse/trackpad input is an absolute requirement for me to efficiently and enjoyably do anything beyond pure basics in Excel, especially when it gets to creation and editing of complex formulas.

Side note: It sucks that MS decided that "X sized iPad" is now too big and requires a subscription. :-(

10. DJLAXL macrumors 6502

DJLAXL

I spiced up my resume this past weekend and found that I had to go to the desktop version just to mess with the bullet spacing and position lol. But besides that, with a keyboard attached it really makes its case for a nice portable replacement.

11. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I agree it's a great product by Microsoft.

I use iWork, so it's baffling to me Apple has not raised the bar on their iOS productivity apps. (e.g. still can't edit master slides on an iPad Pro. Baffling.)

12. jqc macrumors regular

use it all the time for work. its great. especially on IPP.

13. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

It's pretty great on iPad pro. My only qualm is that I can't seem to highlight a group of text with my pencil - super annoying.

14. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Yeah this is key. its in many ways better than the desktop version nd can't really be compared. Microsoft did a really good job on this.
    Excel is amazing on the Pro.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Just be aware that not all Excel macros work on Office for iPad. Of course, it's also the same with Office for Mac (though that version is getting better). What type of work do you do in Excel? If it's basic spreadsheets, you'll be fine. But if you use the toolpaks, a Surface Pro or a MacBook running Windows might be a better option.

16. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

i wish i could use the pencil in word and excel

17. rwp macrumors member

I cannot seem to get Word to open documents in other formats, like txt or pdf. Anyone know if this is possible?

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I see many of you loves Office app. I am happy with Pages because it is free.