Microsoft Office on XP or Mac's version of Office?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Captain Planet, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place for my question, but I wanted to get opinions from you guys. I use Microsoft Word, Excel and sometimes, Power Point quite often at college. They have PCs of course... and I have an iMac. And I wanted to get Microsoft Office at home.

Now, I was looking on the web for different prices and all that. I wasn't sure between buying Windows XP (because I work with XP at college, not Vista) and downloading Bootcamp, or Microsoft Office for Mac. Also, I wasn't sure if the Mac version was similar to the one for Windows... and also if I could transfer files from the PC to Mac versions without problems.

Basically, money wise, if I buy one or the other, there isn't too much of a difference. But I haven't looked everywhere for the best prices available, although I'm guessing it's pretty much the same most places (internet).

So what do you guys think? I read a few reviews here and there and it seems like some people have a few problems with the Mac version, while others say it's great. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Buy the version of office for the OS where you will be spending most of your time in.

I use Office of OSX and exchange files with work, and I haven't had problems.

If you use VBA scripts, then you should use the Window's version.

my $.02

3. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Alright... and I don't even know what you mean by VBA scripts, so chances are I'm not using those. So should I buy it off Apple's website? You know if there's any discount for students?

4. ant-macyourself macrumors member

There's a Home & Student edition which is $149 that includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Entourage. You might be able to find it for a little cheaper, but not so much that it'll really make a big difference.

EDIT: I found it on MacMall.com for $125... looks like a good price to me.

5. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Yeah, I saw that... it's $179 CND. But that's with the purchase of a Mac... so in reality, it's $199. But I really need it so it won't stop me from buying it.

6. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Depends on which one you're more likely to use it on. Since I'm a programming student, most of my schoolwork has to be done in Windows, hence I got Microsoft Office for Windows.

On the other hand though, it only cost US$9 for my MS Office 2007, and my MBP already comes pre-loaded with MS Office 2008 (for Mac), so I've actually have it in both OSs. :p But I hardly have any use for MS Office in Leopard.

7. voxnj macrumors regular

The Office Suite for MAC is terrible! I wouldn't recommend it for anyone -- even if it was free. They've left off many features and have made others very difficult to find and use. I have abandoned the Suite. I am a very heavy business user of "word", "excel" and "PowerPoint" I recommend two alternatives:

1. OpenOffice.Org -- Now my primary document, spreed sheet and presentation suite. It's free, and in late stage Beta for the MAC. Nevertheless I have never had a problem with it. It looks, feels and operates just like the Microsoft windows platform.

2. Use Windoxs XP Version in Fusion. This also works great for me -- on all apps.

Good luck

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

mac version has no data analysis pack, other than that, should be fine.

also the windows version has bigger discount now, $84 for 3 licenses at newegg, amazon etc.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

10. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Office:Mac is fine, but you might like to give iWork a try. Excellent value and compatibility.

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I have Office 2008 but am not using it much b/c I graduated and am not writing essays at all anymore, but I do like iWork 09 although does not seem as nice as Office 2007 for windows. I used Office 2007 for windows for my undergrad though. Try iWork, it's a ton cheaper and plus I like to stay native to OS X.