Microsoft Office Retina update will not install

anorton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I've downloaded the 14.2.4 retina update for Microsoft office 2011 which I have already installed on my computer (version 14.1.3).

Whenever I try to install there is a message which says 'a version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume'.

Has anyone had this problem/discovered a way round it?

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've downloaded the 14.2.4 retina update for Microsoft office 2011 which I have already installed on my computer (version 14.1.3).

Whenever I try to install there is a message which says 'a version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume'.

Has anyone had this problem/discovered a way round it?
Is it in you Application folder, if not move it there, I had the same issue with Office 2008 a couple of days ago, moved it and it installs.

anorton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Yeah I've put both the update and the main folder in applications and its still not saying the update can be installed.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yeah I've put both the update and the main folder in applications and its still not saying the update can be installed.
:confused::p

That's Odd, try to go to Microsoft Mac site and see if there is a solution for it.

It has the same message, if yes I can't say more than the above.
Sometimes it's a permission error but if it can't find it I don't know.

You could try reinstall the original software, maybe there's some corrupt install files somewhere and after this try to update again.

Your mail and settings should be safe, they are not in the App folder.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
From the download page:

System requirements

Supported operating systems: Apple Macintosh, Mac OS X

* Operating System Versions: Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or a later version of Mac OS

Note To verify that your computer meets these minimum requirements, on the Apple menu, click About This Mac.
* Microsoft Office 2011 14.2.3 Update: You can download this update for free from the Microsoft Web Site.
14.2.3 is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30214

14.2.3 then requires a minimum of 14.1.0 so you should be fine with the 14.2.3 update followed by the 14.2.4 update.

Sometimes, AutoUpdate offers a single combo updater.

anorton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I've reinstalled and updated to 14.2.3 but still having no joy. Same message saying 'the version of software is not correct'. Got me completely stumped.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've reinstalled and updated to 14.2.3 but still having no joy. Same message saying 'the version of software is not correct'. Got me completely stumped.
Did you try this:

Did you repair permissions and maybe try the auto updater?

I remember years ago I had a similar problem, I think it had something to do with identity, but it's so long ago I can not really remember.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
The only other things I can think of is:

1. Ensuring the application are in their original locations. ie, /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/

2. Disconnect any other drives you have that may contain a copy of the applications (backup discs etc).

3. Boot up in safe mode to install the 14.2.3 update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.