Microsoft Office Student 2004 or iWork '08 for a college student....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dubis07, Aug 8, 2007.

1. dubis07 macrumors member

Can anyone see a reason why I should purchase Microsoft Office Student 2004 with iWork '08 now having the Numbers app to import and export to Excel? I know it also covers Word and Power Point I'm just trying to figure out if I would have all my bases covered going into college. Does anyone see any problems I would run into at school if all I had was iWork '08?

2. chriswheat macrumors regular

Definitely don't buy Microsoft Office 2004 right now, with a new version coming out in January. I got through college using Microsoft Office 2004, but I definitely used pages more. The only time I really used it was to use Excel. I think you would be just fine with iWork. If you absolutely have to use a Microsoft program, you could always find a computer in a computer lab...but I really don't think you'd ever have to.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

iWork '08 should do it for you. especially now that Apple acknowledges compatibility with Microsoft documents - even Office 2007 documents.

if you do need Office later on, you can probably access it via a computer lab or you could just buy it.

4. coren2000 macrumors member

Im going with iWork 08 come September.

Im really happy it came out before school started.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Depends on the course. For anything science/engineering based i would say that iWork doesn't quite cut it yet.

6. dubis07 thread starter macrumors member

Damn, I'm going to be in engineering hah.

7. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

If you are doing anything remotely scientific, do not rely on Numbers. The app is not ready for prime time, save for cute looks. It is slow as molasses and lacks some basic functionality.

8. dubis07 thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate all the help guys! This is my first time posting here at MacRumors (though I have been lurking for awhile) and you guys were very informative!

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

When term starts download the trial of iWork, this'll give you 30 days in which you can see if it is capable. (For first year work it is probably capable, just). Hopefully this will see you fit until Office 08 comes out, or you can use Neo Office or Open Office and see how well they fit your needs.

10. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

i think the best thing would be to just ask the professors what kind of projects you'll be working on. this way you dont blow $125 on office only to find out you could have used iwork, or pay 79 for iwork andthen find out you need to buy office to.

11. dr_lha macrumors 68000

If your prime use of a spreadsheet is going to be exchanging files between it and Excel, then I can't recommend Numbers, its Excel export sucks.

12. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I'm a science major and I find that even Excel doesn't cut it. Usually I'm forced to resort to Maple/Mathematica to get the graphs that I want.

13. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Yes, Excel sucks for graphs. Numbers however, sucks worse (for science).

14. valiar macrumors regular

Be aware that Numbers does not do:
    error bars
    proper scatter plots
    curve or linear fitting

If you are a science/engineering student, iWork alone will NOT cut it for you.
    My advice is to get both Office 2004 (for Word and Excel) and iWork (for Keynote). It is not that much money with an academic discount.

Or just head to a bittorrent tracker near you (wait, did I just say that? :)).

15. furyoo macrumors newbie

Numbers doesn't come with a solver function, which you will probably find very useful as an engineer. At least I did.

16. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

You need to see if your school offers Office at a discounted rate. I got the full version for only $5 when I was at College. For that kind of price, you might as well get it and install it so you have it when you need it.

17. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I am using only iWork '08 and I recommend it.

18. henry.oswald macrumors member

i dont recomend office for the mac if your files are ever going to touch a pc, Things go wrong all the time for me, especial images. dont realy know how ilife works with word on a pc.

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

iWork is definitely worse in this regard. I occasionally had problems with missing images with word documents but ever since i realized you have to "insert" them rather than just drag and drop all these issues have gone. I don't have a single compatibility problem with the documents I create now.

20. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

upon further research (read: personally using Numbers), i would not rely on Numbers as an Excel replacement. it is good for basic spreadsheet tasks but definitely not an Excel replacement.

Keynote and Pages should be fine for presentations and papers. Pages does lack some functionality compared to Word, but it gets the job done.

21. zolaman macrumors newbie

I second this advice. My school (Indiana University) offered it for $10 on CD or as a free download through the university network. Most of the state schools have some sort of deal like this as well to my knowledge.

22. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'd probably go with the one my employer would have me using after college, if you're doing intense stuff with it, and not simple budgets.

That said, another option might be to buy iWork and Excel, and skip the rest of the office suite. Do they offer that to Mac users?

23. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I'd say go with Office. I used Word for all of my notes during my biology undergrad, and I've been messing around with the Pages trial today and just can't seem to get the layout I prefer. I was hoping to switch over to iWork as I start grad school, but I don't think that's going to happen. Pages doesn't do lists as well as Word, has no (free-draw pen (that I can find) to scribble down little diagrams (did this often in Word) and just altogether feels more geared toward self-publishing via personal websites and blogs than it does for true word-processing (read: it feels pretty, not professional). Maybe I just need to get used to the styles format that Pages is based on, but it doesn't seem, at the very least, like it would make my note-taking/paper writing any easier/faster/better than word, and I'm not THAT much of an apple fanatic to spend extra time trying to get what I want out of Pages just so I can use an apple app. I'll put some more time into iWork to get a better idea, but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with Office once classes start back up.

Oh, and it saves files in a .pages file format. I was under the impression you could just choose the default format to save to, so I could use .doc, but you can't (at least to my limited knowledge). Saving just creates the .pages file, you have to go to "export file" and choose ".doc" in order to get a .doc that you can share (same for pdf, but I honestly never had need to create pdf's in my undergrad career, it was all doc's). It's a minor thing, but an extra unnecessary step. And you will almost undoubtedly have to have most of your files in .doc format for file sharing to your pc using classmates and professors, so save yourself the trouble and use Word. I'm sure your school will have at least some sort of discount on the software.