Microsoft office switching spaces arbitrarily.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ert3, May 9, 2008.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I hate to beat an old drum but has anyone found out how to prevent Mac Office 2008 from jumping between spaces in leopard.

I will be using it on one space and switch to the next space then another space and bam it has moved for seemingly no reason. Now I have to go to the zoomed back view of all my spaces and drag the app back to where it was.

Does anyone know of a way to prevent office 2008 from jumping between spaces (virtual desktops)

Microsoft Office 2008 ver 12.0.1
    OSX leopard 10.5.2
    Mac Book Pro: 2.4giz intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB Vram, screen size is 1440 x 900

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not certain this will work as I don't use MS Office, but have you tried using an Application assignment in Spaces prefs to lock Office apps to a specifically assigned space?

3. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I believe this is a current bug in MS Office. For some reason, documents like to jump spaces and sometimes you can't even get your document to respond. It's odd, but I believe its a microsoft issue and anything done on the mac side can't change it.

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

5. John01021988 macrumors 6502

MS Office and spaces dont get along well. Its annoying when you have more than 3 windows open, they jump back and forth through spaces........

6. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

I tried assigning the app a space a while ago and all that did was make the tool bar summon to one area when the app opened.

The only thing I have found to work is sticking to just switching spaces and not zooming out to view them all at once

7. Info Ecologist macrumors newbie

An annoying solution

I have this same problem and it is irritating.

The one solution that I have figured out is to have another application open in the same space as your office app and make sure the non-office app is active when you switch screens. This seems to stop the issue for me - but it's a hassle having to do that.

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah I'm having the same problem. I can't believe I paid for this thing.

I put Office in the third space and then when I go to the third space, it disappears, and ends up in the first space.

And even more irritating, whenever I go back to first space where Office is and click on it, I get pushed to the third space. I go to the first space, and I don't even do anything and I get pushed back to the third space.

This happens every time. I don't think Office plays good with spaces.

9. gtangjr macrumors newbie

Absolutley disgusting.

It blows my mind that this keeps happening. The fact that Office is (1) so expensive; yet (2) so buggy, just kills me. There is absolutely no fix for this. Microsoft has commented on it, and even suggested there would be a fix shortly, but to no avail. Every time there is an update, I'm SO excited, particularly since now, because of this major annoyance that truly, deeply saps productivity, I am going to begin transitioning to the new Pages '09 (out of iLife), which I have procured. It should arrive any day now.

Update:

I realize this could also be an Apple issue as Nadyne and the very informative blog post below point out, but it's still unbelievable. More unbelievable is that the toolbox, which happens to be among the main culprits, particularly in the 2004 version, exists in the first place. Look, Microsoft will NEVER, ever be Apple, so why try to make programs like Apple? Instead -- even though this might not make sense from a coding standpoint -- why not continue what is an otherwise very successful ribbon theme, as beautifully exemplified in Office 2007 for Windows? If I'm the MacBU, I'm thinking about what I can do to set myself apart, not blend in. Blows my mind that the whole wheel was reinvented and to poor effect. I was so excited about Office 2008. Alas.

10. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Sorry, guys. It's a known issue. We're working with Apple to figure out how to fix it, but it's a big hairy problem. Apple has looked at our code and can't make any recommendations for how to fix it. If you want the full hairy technical details, check out this blog post from one of our senior developers: risks and rewards. The stuff specific to the Spaces issue comes about halfway through that post.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

11. Chim3ra macrumors member

Chim3ra

yeah, this problem sucks

but it office seems to jump back to the right/assigned space by saving the document you're working on.... at least it did for me

12. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984