Microsoft Office vs Appleworks

ChazLM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
I've been pc/office. I'm switching to an apple powerbook and want to know if it's worth paying for microsoft office. Is Appleworks a comparable product? I won't be using it for business, mainly letters w/ pictures. Is the spreadsheet capability of Appleworks close to Excel? I do like using macros to preform tasks in Excel.

Thanks for your feedback! :confused:

Chaz

dcollierp

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Spearfish, SD
Appleworks does not come on the new powerbooks. Before you spend money on Appleworks, which by the way does not hold a candle to MS Office, try NeoOffice/J. It's open source and is very similar to MS Office for Windows (think Office 98). http://www.neooffice.org/

Comment

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Eventhough I have a PB, I only use Office and BARELY touch appleworks. In the scientific field, almost everyone uses office, and thus, it's difficult to transfer documents, data, etc using appleworks w/ other scientist.

And as dcollierp pointed out, it's not free.

My recommendation is to get the office.

Comment

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Office is the best. Better than the once for Windows, even. It's nice. Appleworks.... well, sucks.

No idea about iWork yet.

Comment

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
office. appleworks doesnt even get off the grid.

and it's better than the windoze version too which is cool :rolleyes:

Comment

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
Boston
ChazLM said:
I won't be using it for business, mainly letters w/ pictures. Is the spreadsheet capability of Appleworks close to Excel? I do like using macros to preform tasks in Excel.
Well, if you really do stick to just letters w/pictures, Appleworks should be fine.

But, if you do anything except the most very basic spreadsheet functions, you should go with Office. I agree with those above: the Appleworks spreadsheet is pathetic.

Comment