Microsoft Office won't open with Mavericks

Brother Seamus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Installed Mavericks at the start of the week, and yes I've had some problems, but have got used to some, and it seems the more the mac has been turned off and on again, the speed issues have mostly gone.

But, I cannot open any Microsoft Office files!

this is a 2011 version of Office and all should work fine. Wouldn't open any files the other day, so this morning I got rip of Office and re-installed it all again. Still the same. Nothing will open.

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I use excel quite often and I've not incurred any problems with excel or word under 10.9.2

When you re-installed Office did you uninstall it first?

Brother Seamus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I use excel quite often and I've not incurred any problems with excel or word under 10.9.2

When you re-installed Office did you uninstall it first?
I couldn't see any option to uninstall, and got my wife in too to check this, as she's a big time Office user.
In the end just dragged Office to the trash, and then re-installed.

Same message comes up as in the past few days.
Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Brother Seamus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Problem solved. A bit of Google searching and I found someone with exactly the same problem as me. And they sorted it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macstart/maverick-killed-office-a-fonts-problem/51eda090-3f4c-4ffe-b63e-8f20757c9210

The Microsoft Office Error Reporting Programme is the culprit.

An apple engineer just called me after I posted this in the Apple Support Community aswell - what a great support! Deactivating the Microsoft Office error reporting did the trick:

Open Finder, go to your hard drive, then Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MERP2.0 and open Microsoft's error reporting program ("Microsoft-Fehlerberichterstattung" in German). In the program menu go to the preferences and just deactivate the error reporting.

Directly after this all of my Office 2011 applications were working fine again.

bradsfulton

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2014
I have the same problem

I have not been able to open Word 2011 for Mac. I installed Maverick a week ago. I have tried the following suggested by various forums:
Resetting the font book
Uninstalling and reinstalling Office with the help of tech support at the microsoft store.
Disabling Office's automatic error report
Installing and running OnyX to fix the problem
None of these have had any affect. However Excel and PowerPoint work fine. What's next?