Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mwells65, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mwells65 macrumors newbie

I've been using Word and Excel and I am very disappointed with how my macbook handles them. I have a late 2011 2.4ghz 13in. When I copy and paste a graph from an excel file to a word document, it takes about 30 seconds or more to copy it over. It is very annoying when trying to be productive with my work as I have many graphs to copy over and edit. My old pc with less computing power and weaker ram would copy a graph over in a fraction of a second. Why can't my macbook handle it? Very frustrating. Any ideas?

2. Skyrim macrumors member

Use Microsoft Office under the Microsoft Windows. It will be faster. And why is it slow under Mac OS X? I think the answer is obvious.

3. mwells65 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seeing as the program is designed for Mac as well and its a program that I paid for... Why wouldn't it run a simple word processing program? I don't think Microsft sabotaged their program for mac? Or did they... Guess I'll have to buy another pc to handle the extremely demanding program of Word. lol.

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

No, the answer is not obvious.

OP - your performance is not normal. I run Microsoft Office 2011 on my 2006 model MacBook and have just a second or few delay, even on the largest spreadsheets.

I would look at your Activity Monitor and see what's eating up your CPU usage and how your RAM situation is working out. Is there something hogging your CPU? Do you have a lot of page outs? How much RAM do you have? Definitely a performance issue, not a Microsoft Office issue.

5. mwells65 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right. The activity manager says 3.78gb of ram is being used.. I only have safari, excel, and word up right now. It says the cpu is 98% idle too. When copying the chart it only drops to 60-70% idle.

6. tarponbeach macrumors member

I ditched MS Office for Open Office. Open Office runs great on my MBP i5 13”

7. mwells65 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is open office through microsoft or completely independent? Is it 100% compatible with with .doc .docx etc.. ?

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It's independent and free. Its somewhat compatible, but not 100%. If you regularly exchange files with MS Office users I wouldn't recommend it. But since it's free, you might as well give it a try.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Open Office is from Sun. I personally use MS Office, but others claim Libre Office (it is free as well) is better than Open Office and more compatible.

10. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Software issues. Go to a Genius Bar and try to figure it out, there's too many variable to really diagnose here.

11. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Open Office is not anywhere near as streamlined or with the features as Microsofts Office 2011 in my opinion. I am surprised how stable and fast the programs are actually. Powerpoint in contrast will lag when handling large posters (3 by 4 feet) etc., even with 8 gig of Ram.

The beach balling while cutting and pasting graphs is not normal but Apple Genius/tech support is certainly not going to help you with non-Apple software. You could contact Microsoft support or just try reinstalling the apps.

Your machine should handle it fine - mine does on both my 2010 MBA and 2011 MBP.

12. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

We just put together a research/trial document using Office '11 (Mac), fairly complex Word docs with lots of embedded objects (tables, graphs ... mostly from Excel) and it worked outstanding ... including moving (and revision tracking) between Windows and OSX platforms.

13. mwells65 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I will try uninstalling and reinstalling. The funny thing is, there is no beach ball. Both programs (Excel, word) freeze for a minute, then come back to life and the graph is copied over. Who knows..

Thanks for the help!