microsoft office!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by comebackdwn, Oct 30, 2007.

1. comebackdwn macrumors regular

so, my dad is interested in buying a mac. however, he is all about microsoft outlook and no other mail system will do. he asked me to research about it. i looked at a microsoft office for mac package while i was at dingy ol' best buy today. and it didnt appear it came with outlook....does mac not run outlook or is it just sold seperately?

thanks guys!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Microsoft has Entourage for the Mac instead of Outlook...Mail is much better IMO and is included with the Mac :)

3. Gee macrumors 65816

But Entourage is significantly different from Outlook in features and look-and-feel. The do the same thing essentially, but it's not like for like.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Outlook is Windows only. The Mac equivalent is Entourage, which offers pretty much the same feature set and comes with MS Office:Mac

Both blow goats. ;-) Get him to use Mail, which - in Leopard - offers similar functionality with a far superior UI.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, that's right, and it continues for Office 2008. The only options you really have would probably involve running Outlook on top of Crossover, VMWare, or Parallels.

I don't have any strong positive or negative feelings about Entourage; I migrated from Outlook 2000 to the (then Panther) Apple Mail, iCal, and Address Book programs. In a single user / independent environment, I find them pretty much as usable, with particular strengths in some areas (I haven't used Office 07 yet, but the thing I instantly miss in Outlook 2003 is that searching for e-mails is a bear compared to Mail in Tiger). In a collaborative environment, I think Outlook shines, especially since Apple is just beginning to implement their collaborative systems for the Address Book and iCal portions of their solution.

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

hmm - I don't know that I'd go as far as 'significantly' different. there are differences, yes, but Entourage and Outlook have a fundamentally similar feature set - just with variations in UI. Unless you're connecting to an Exchange server, they're pretty much interchangeable.