Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Branskins, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

Hello, I have a question: will I have to purchase the Mac version of Office or will I be able to use a PC version?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I really don't want to pay another 150+ dollars on top of 1,100! So I thought I would fact check :)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

mac version

look into open office if u want a free alternative though

3. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

You have to buy the Mac version of Office. Unless you install Windows via Bootcamp or parallels and run it using Windows

4. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess that would be the best option with Parallels!

Thank you!!

I am so close to finally getting a Mac!! Would be my first time! I am looking at the 13" one :)

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

before yuo go buy parallels, look into the free alternative (which is great btw). parallels and the like cost around 80-100

virtual box

6. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Ya! Leo Laporte talks about that one on TWiT and MacBreak Weekly a lot! I would definitely get that one over spending a lot of money!

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

make sure you have 4 gig of ram if you try parallels/vmware/virtual box.

8. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I have 2gb and Parallels runs just fine...

9. Buzz Bumble Guest

Unless you need full Microsoft Office compatiblity (and even then Mac Office 2008 does have bits missing - no Access for a start), there are other cheaper options. As dukebound85 said, there's Open Office. There's also Apple's own Pages, Numbers, etc.

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The mac version of open office is NEOOFFICE. It does everything I need it to do for interfacing with MS office docs and the cost was $0. :D

An aside, if you use a virutal machine to run PC apps, you'll still need to invest in a copy of the PC OS, be it Win XP or Vista. The total cost of virtalization is the virtualization software + the OS software + the actual app you need to run.

On the plus side, VMWare Fusion 2 is currently $25 after rebate at Amazon - huzzah!

11. omarjk macrumors regular

I have always used Mac Office and it has never given me any real problems. I regularly write articles and used to complete essays on Word, as well as accounting on Excel, all requiring cross-platform harmony, delivering fine every time.