Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
When this has all the bells and whistles of its Windows counterpart, there goes my primary reason for running Windows on a Mac via Boot Camp.
[doublepost=1494438886][/doublepost]
currently use VS on win to develop unity apps across web, android, and ios. wanted to do some dev on my mac at home but would prefer to use a dev env and editor same like what i use at work if possible... will download the community edition and see how it goes. Does it support the same plug-ins as the win version? Need the Unity plug-in and resharper.

update: launches incredibly slowly and i don't see any plugins for unity or resharper. the default empty project they created for cross platform dev when i try running it doesn't seem to work either.

It's going to be a while before VS for Mac gets anything like Resharper, if that even happens at all.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Does it have integrated TFS support yet? Last I saw, they suggested Eclipse if you needed access to TFS...

I bought MSFT stock when Balmer announced his retirement. I haven't been disappointed...

Reactions: bartvk

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Not going to see it be that big. Xcode is still required if you want to be in the Mac App Store and if you want to avoid the fun with Gatekeeper and certificate crap.

Reactions: Keane16

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
most wanted for our company! great inovation. this way xamarin makes sense.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
I honestly don't understand the love for Visual Studio here. I use it daily, I hate it. It's sluggish, bloated, and has quirky as hell autocomplete.

yeah quirky is one word for it no doubt... i think it isn't about love so much as lots of primarily mac users who are forced to use it for work on windows machines like myself.

in terms of resharper i was hoping the 'plug-in' system perhaps was just written in c# and would be out of the box compatible. wishful thinking?

Reactions: samden

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Cool! I used to code in MS Basic on my Mac Plus and used Word Basic on my old Mac to process thousands of HTML files in 1995. Used to write screen savers on VB in Windows 3.1!

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Probably works a lot better than Xcode...

Xcode sets a low bar.. Bottom of the barrel quality.
[doublepost=1494446807][/doublepost]Try Rider...

https://www.jetbrains.com/rider/

Cross platform .NET environment.. jet brains also develop Resharper.

When this has all the bells and whistles of its Windows counterpart, there goes my primary reason for running Windows on a Mac via Boot Camp.
[doublepost=1494438886][/doublepost]

It's going to be a while before VS for Mac gets anything like Resharper, if that even happens at all.
[doublepost=1494447790][/doublepost]
Another option if you want to also make cross-platform desktop apps with a UI is Xojo. It makes native apps for MacOS, Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi, web and iOS.

This used to be Real Basic?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Visual Studio, at least on Windows, is a first rate product, and C# is, in my opinion, one of the best languages out there bar-none.

Very excited to see it ported to Mac.

Someone talking in the right spirit! Indeed, excited to see VS come to the Mac.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Visual Studio, at least on Windows, is a first rate product, and C# is, in my opinion, one of the best languages out there bar-none.

Very excited to see it ported to Mac.

This is not, mind you, a port of Visual Studio for Windows, but a rebranding of Xamarin Studio (itself a rebranded MonoDevelop). It does share some code with Visual Studio for Windows, especially in the .NET area, but is otherwise neither visually nor architecturally very similar.

In general, Visual Studio for Windows has much broader scope — you can build C++ apps, Windows desktop apps (WinForms, WPF), etc. with it. The Mac version is essentially .NET-only, and only supports the various Xamarin targets (macOS, iOS, etc., Android) as well as Web development.

Reactions: joy.757 and Stella

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Mine isn't launching at all. It isn't even installing. Hell, even the installer quits.
The same installer that came up in Japanese on my machine despite that being my third language preference...

Edit: And then crashed.

Last edited:
Reactions: danR2

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
I've install the professional version and play around with it. I don't think it's as "full featured" as on windows. It feels like a light version of it.

Regarding Xcode v.s. VS. I've been using both and each is great in its own environment. There're pros and cons on both. There's no comparison since the dev environments are vastly different. UI wise, I personally like Xcode more.

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

joy.757

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
~~I think Visual Studio is among the best IDEs (for C, C#, etc) which I have used. This is really cool.~~

Edit: I just realised that this is not the real VS. So, not as cool as I was thinking.

Last edited:

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
In absolutely every single applicable product they make, when it comes to the Mac, Microsoft simply do not understand the meaning of the word "cross-platform"...

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
It's hard to imagine tons of people shelling out more than $500/year for the pro version when Xcode is $0/year.

Also, I use Xcode a lot at times... what's so wrong with it?

Reactions: lincolntran

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If you've used other IDEs, you will soon notice its short comings especially when cranking out code.
It's hard to imagine tons of people shelling out more than $500/year for the pro version when Xcode is $0/year.

Also, I use Xcode a lot at times... what's so wrong with it?

Reactions: jettredmont
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.