Microsoft Outlook 2011/365: is this worthless to sync googlecalendar/contacts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davideotape, Jul 3, 2013.

1. davideotape macrumors 6502

I keep my contacts/calendars through google, and syncing with icloud/mac calendar and contacts was super easy but i'm having some major issues trying to sync my calendar to MS Office.

I don't have any major issues with my current system and will likely stick with it if i can't figure this out, but my work PC uses outlook and I prefer that interface-- so if i can sync calendar/contacts to my google accounts this would be ideal.

i'm already sync'd to Calendar and Address Book, and I've also already tried the "sync services" selection in my Outlook preferences and nothing is happening/working.

it seems kinda ridiculous that Outlook calendar wouldn't have a more direct way to sync calendar/contacts with Google. does anyone here do this? what's the setup process?

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Outlook does not support CalDAV or CardDAV so sync between Outlook and Apple applications are slowly going away. CalDAV & CardDAV are protocols used by*Apple, Google, Yahoo and others to sync contacts and calendars.

Apple has deprecated Sync Services in Mountain Lion and it no longer works reliably.

• You can no longer sync with an iPhone or iPad via iTunes. You can only sync with an iPhone or iPad via a cloud-based service like iCloud or Google.
    • You can no longer sync local calendars with OS X Calendar (formerly iCal). You can, however, continue to sync calendars hosted on a cloud-based service like iCloud or Google with OS X Calendar.
    • You can no longer sync with any third-party apps running on your Mac that use Sync Services, like Entourage or Outlook.

3. davideotape thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks-- so it sounds like MS Outlook has no plans to introduce the ability to sync with google calendar? that's a bummer, and a huge disincentive to moving to outlook. guess i'll stick to the apple apps begrudgingly.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

We can only hope that Microsoft will fix Outlook for Mac so that it will work properly with Exchange. A Google conduit isn't likely to happen, even by a 3rd party. The 3rd party ones for Windows Outlook are pretty flaky.

I'm moving one of my domains to Office 365. I'd have to upgrade to Google Apps for Business for push on new devices plus I need a cross-platform Outlook solution and 365's about the cheapest one. I'll miss several things about Google...the web calendar is better for one thing.

5. davideotape thread starter macrumors 6502

osx calendar syncs w/google calendar just fine. shame that MS won't adopt that philosophy, i know it's the one thing keeping me from actually using outlook, which seems like a better overall product than apple's 3 separate MAIL, CALENDAR, and CONTACTS (mail's the only one i dislike but not enough to use Outlook JUST for mail)