Microsoft Outlook Export into Mac Mail question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I have MSOutlook 2000 (not Express) and want to export my address book into Mac Mail. Outlook will export into a .pst file. Is this something Mac Mail will import??

It will also export into "Comma separated values" if that helps..

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm assuming you're talking about Outlook for Windows since you say it's Outlook 2000. You'll need an app like O2M in order to convert their proprietary format to something Mail can read.

3. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

4. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I'm sure that will work but is there any free way to do it? Also, yes this is a Windows 2000 machine. I would think there should be someway to do it without spending any more $$

5. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

Uh yes, but the software is only $10.
    Your time and not being frustrated isn't worth a measly $10?

6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

If you're strictly looking to export contacts only, see if there is any way to export them from Outlook to vCard format (.vcf). I know you can do this in Outlook 2002/XP, I'm just not certain if you can in Outlook 2000 or not. If you indeed can, Apple's Address Book (which is tied to Apple Mail) will import vCard files and it wouldn't cost you a thing.

However, if you're wanting to export Mail and Calendar entries from Outlook to the Mac as well, O2M is really the only easy and reliable way to go. It's well worth the $10 if you want to move everything in Outlook over to the Mac.

7. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Only other way if you want the free method is to check the various Email providers. I use www.fastmail.fm and I believe they can import an Outlook file and export one back as CSV or text for Mac Mail to import. Check Gmail and others. Convoluted but it worked for me before I bought O2M.

8. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Yes, If I could just get the contacts list, Address book, that is all I want.

9. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

10. jayfgee macrumors newbie

Did you look at this page already?

It basically says to use the free MS Entourage to import, then use Mail to import from Entourage.

Since I'm in the same boat, I'm going to give it a shot.

11. john e macrumors newbie

o2m problem

i read your thread on o2m, downloaded it but now am getting an error msg saying it cannot connect to Outlook on PC. msg also says it might be due to security on outlook preventing this program connecting to oit but gives no deatils on how to disable - any ideas how I get around this?

12. jayfgee macrumors newbie

I just imported messages into Mail from Entourage from Thunderbird from Outlook on a PC.

It worked. It took some time. It was free.

Download Thunderbird

After importing the messages to Thunderbird from Outlook, make sure you copy the inbox file from the PC to the Mac (look in Documents and Settings/username/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles).

Rename the files to be copied with a .mbox extension.

Open Entourage

Drag them from their location on the Mac to the Entourage Inbox. Poof!

Open Mail and import messages from Entourage

Hope this works for you

13. macalbs macrumors newbie

Microsoft Outlook Export into Mac Mail question.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
    I have trasfered Outlook mail with TchHit.com software into CD disk that is fine. Now I did try to transfer to Mac entourage mail and that where I could not
    transfer the files.
    Thank you.
    macalbs

14. leejandsue macrumors newbie

import calendar and contacts from outlook to ical and apple mail or entourage

i found a program that will do this for free. it is called "outport". use vcard for contacts. use icalendar for calendar. when you transfer the files from the pc to the mac, the .ics files will automatically open ical, so just right click on a group of the ics files, and this should save them to ical. if you are using entourage, then you have to right click on the ics file, and choose "get info" in order to change the file from being opened up in ical, to being opened with entourage. just do about 10 files at a time in order for it to complete successfully. after you open the 10 files they will be imported, then just quit entourage, or quit ical if you are importing to ical, in order to close all the files, and then repeat for the next 10 files.
    just open up address book, and import the vcf files. i have tried this with entourage, but should also work with ical as seen above.

15. jamojamo macrumors 6502

I am running Outlook 2007 and Vista on my PC and I got the same error.

- Turn off User Account Controls on the PC
    - Restart computer
    - Run O2M as Administrator (Right click on the desktop icon and choose this option)
    - O2M then launches and it worked fine for me.

Hope this helps.

16. pepelipep macrumors newbie

Outlook 2003 to Mac

Sorry if someone said this already but I've been trying all day to export my Microsoft Outlook 2003 onto my Mac and finally figured it out - I exported all contacts from Outlook into a Dos file for windows, imported them onto a google mail account, and then exported them from gmail onto my Mac.

17. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

(1) Outlook addresses should show up in the Windows Address Book (WAB)

(2) Open the Windows Address Book (Start – Programs – Accessories – Address Book)

(3) Create a new folder on your desktop

(4) Drag the address cards from the WAB to the folder you created – they will be in the vCard format

(5) Copy this folder to your Mac (via a network, email, iPod, USB drive) etc

(6) On the Mac, drag the vCards from the folder to the Address Book

(7) You’re done – only takes a few minutes.

http://technologme.com/convert-outlook-contacts-to-mac-address-book/2322/