Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft announced an overhaul of its Groove music app for iOS yesterday, featuring a redesigned interface and a handful of new features for the subscription-based service, home to over 40 million tracks.

The 3.5.6 update promises a much faster sign-in for mobile users of the $9.99-per-month service and introduces a new Explore view to the UI where users can discover popular songs and new releases from top artists.

Screen-Shot-2016-07-19-at-11.50.48-800x694.jpg

The update also offers significant improvements to playback reliability, as well as faster download of songs and albums for offline playing. Lossless OneDrive support and new sorting options when viewing music collections have also been implemented.

In addition, the update includes fixes to the sync process that requires users' music collections to be rebuilt from scratch, which Microsoft promises is a one-time procedure, as well as optimizations to screen resolution to support larger mobile displays.

The app still needs to be in the foreground to download music, although Microsoft says a background download feature is coming in a future update. 

Microsoft Groove is a free download for iPhone and iPad available from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft Overhauls 'Groove' Music Streaming App for iOS

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
"Microsoft promises"
Who believes in MS promises???

They have not had a bad track record recently . They are only promising a background download feature . Just like apple and Google does with incremental feature updates

Any examples ?

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Okay, before I bag it, I'm going to download it and give it a go.

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
Ha! While I almost never use Groove, I updated the app on my iPhone and launched it. Guess what? Freezes on opening screen then crash and burn. Nice work, Microsoft. Seems the Zune software days were your best.

Reactions: Red Oak

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
The desktop Windows version is pants, but this iOS update is actually quite a decent overhaul. Love the lossless support.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I found out about this app via Windows 10 and it seems good. Competition is good and I hope Microsoft continues to improve it and maybe one day it'll be as well known as Spotify and Apple Music.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
WMA was always a horrible unreliable format which is why many streaming services ditched them for MP3 and AAC.

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
Good stuff. This app on W10 is fantastic and it allows me to stream my entire (owned) music library. Plus, it handles "now playing" like I expect it to. I'm not used to the "up next" concept that Apple Music and Spotify follow.

I've gotten Xbox music/groove music yearly passes for as low as $30/year. I'll be on the lookout.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I don't have a subscription, but I use the app to listen to my own music library as an alternative to iTunes Match (which I cancelled when they dropped the formerly included radio service). You can upload your music files to Onedrive and then use this app to listen to them on the go.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
5 people are happy with this, and looks like a 6th person is joining!

fjarl

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
Good stuff. If you've, like I, taken advantage of the OneDrive 1TB cloud storage part of their Office365 package, then this app will stream (and download offline should you wish) the music you've stored on OneDrive. Works very well.

Loco Emperor

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2016
So many Apple fanboys in this thread. So tragic. That being said this is macrumors so it is to be expected.

It's a good app and I am glad I can finally switch back from Apple Music. Much better than and I don't feel like I'm settling.

Ha! While I almost never use Groove, I updated the app on my iPhone and launched it. Guess what? Freezes on opening screen then crash and burn. Nice work, Microsoft. Seems the Zune software days were your best.

Works great on my 6s+ running iOS 10 beta 3

Groove is on all Windows 10 installs. That's when I reached out for VLC. Not sure why MS is competing in this loosing battle.
because god forbid anyone want to actually provide competition. It's like asking why Apple continues making macs despite the poor market share. Groove is an app that works on all three operating system for mobile and for those on desktop as well as Xbox players and allows you some great features so it isn't a bad app.

they also apparently make a phone OS too
and it isn't that bad. It's pretty good and definitely my primary device. With my 6s+ being secondary. The gym and night out phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.