Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolutic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Hi. The macbook unibody I purchased in Nov 2009 was and still is my first ever Apple computer. So I am a newbie when it comes to Mac. Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase. It is the best notebook computer I've ever had, and I've gone through a lot. Other than the 7-hour-advertised battery thing - it is a B.S. Maybe 3 hours if nothing is actively uploading/downloading.

I installed several programs on my Macbook unibody. As you know it comes with 2Gigs of Ram. My surprise and frustration is with running the Office 08 for Mac, specifically, Powerpoint. It has been a struggle and I use Powerpoint a lot for presentations. Everything takes forever, it starts slow and it takes 30 seconds to save everything. On the other other hand, other memory-consuming programs that I installed, like Adobe CS4 including Photoshop, run fine on the same 2 Gigs of Ram. You'd think that Photoshop would run slower than Powerpoint. But that is not the case with my Macbook. And I did not think Powerpoint was such a memory-hungry program.

So my question is it something common to everyone, Office programs in general and Powerpoint in particular run slow on Mac, or is it something I need to do to help the issue. At first I thought that going to 4 Gigs of Ram might help, but I later decided against it since all my other programs run fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.