Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehoui

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
I wonder how angry LTD gets any time someone supports Microsoft on here, or any time there is concrete evidence that Apple is indeed, not infallible. I tried the ignore function, but every time you guys quote him I'm forced to read the garbage he posts.

Truly infuriating how close minded and blindly loyal he is to a BRAND.

Buy what suits your needs, and let others do the same. No one needs you raining on their parade all the time.

We get it from both sides. The only difference is that it is somewhat expected that on an Apple focused forum there will be fans who are rationally or irrationally supportive of Apple products. Why someone would consistently post negative (whether cleverly or blatantly trollish) on every single news or forum post which compares Apple to its competitors is equally frustrating to read and doesn't necessarily constitute useful debate or another perspective.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I wonder how angry LTD gets any time someone supports Microsoft on here, or any time there is concrete evidence that Apple is indeed, not infallible. I tried the ignore function, but every time you guys quote him I'm forced to read the garbage he posts.

Buy what suits your needs, and let others do the same. No one needs you raining on their parade all the time.

Brand loyalty doesn't bother me, what baffles me is the fanaticism that some have for Apple. Do these same people hope their power company makes a huge profit? Do they like paying higher prices for gas to ensure the viability of the oil companies? Would they be happiest if Apple made everything in the world? That's what I don't get. I'm a fairly open minded person and I see room for improvement in most everything. It doesn't hinder my enjoyment of my purchase at all, but I don't think there are any perfect products out there and one size doesn't fit all. If everyone in the world used an iPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac, Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mackbook Air, Mac Pro and Apple TV and bought everything from iTunes and the App Store, life would be terribly boring.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
This is excellent news.

The more competition the better, it's the way progress real progress is made.

They better be fast, cause they are slipping away right now.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple is indeed, not infallible.

For the next 3-5 years, they pretty much are.

In fact, Apple is now entering a decade-long tech growth cycle that will witness success after success as they build on the iPad and the App Store ecosystem at large.

This will be the cycle where MS stops growing, as they are no longer able to leverage Windows on consumer desktops and laptops as they once had. You'll even see their enterprise presence erode, but their consumer presence will erode even faster. Let's hope they have big plans for the Xbox, because "Windows on computers" is hardly a safe bet anymore. Thanks in large part to the iPad and the resulting shift in consumer demand *away* from traditional desktops and laptops.

Know how many units of the iPad and iPhone Apple will sell this year in total? It's astounding if you think about it. And you'll see the entire industry turn on the back of Apple's iDevices, even more than it's doing know. For a small taste of what's to come, wait for their quarterly report on the 20th.

Sure, Apple is fallible, but you'd never know it from watching them.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere

In fact, Apple is now entering a decade-long tech growth cycle that will witness success after success as they build on the iPad and the App Store ecosystem at large.

This will be the cycle where MS stops growing, as they are no longer able to leverage Windows on consumer desktops and laptops as they once had. You'll even see their enterprise presence erode, but their consumer presence will erode even faster. Let's hope they have big plans for the Xbox, because "Windows on computers" is hardly a safe bet anymore. Thanks in large part to the iPad and the resulting shift in consumer demand *away* from traditional desktops and laptops.

Know how many units of the iPad and iPhone Apple will sell this year in total? It's astounding if you think about it. And you'll see the entire industry turn on the back of Apple's iDevices, even more than it's doing know. For a small taste of what's to come, wait for their quarterly report on the 20th.

Wow, so that's what living within Apples walled garden does to a person eh?

Fortunately it's a self contained compound, because if you ever had to venture out into the real world, well it wouldn't be pretty :)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

How long do yon think it will take to go from a 90% market share to 0? A year or two? Did Steve say the consumer is shifting away from traditional computers? What happens now that he is out of the picture? How is your power company doing profit wise this quarter?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Newer phones outperforming older phones?

No way!?!

Most WP7 powered phones have inferior specs with QSD8250 Snapdragons coupled with a weak Adreno 200 GPU. The iPhone 4's A4 cpu/SGX535 gpu and Nexus S's Hummingbird cpu/SGX540 gpu easily outpace WP7 devices at the moment.

What were seeing in the video is (pessimistic) a biased test by Microsoft or (optimistic) some really good features that will produce an even smoother/higher optimized experience from Microsoft. A good feat if they've pulled it off IMO.

Edit: I just saw come comments on BGR that the iPhone wasn't even running the latest version of iOS and was still on 4.2.x, is this true? Why didn't MS test the latest version?

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

roadbloc said:
Ping.

Right. Now that little shindig is over with, can we possibly get back on topic?

Ping?

Exactly.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Wow, so that's what living within Apples walled garden does to a person eh?

Fortunately it's a self contained compound, because if you ever had to venture out into the real world, well it wouldn't be pretty :)

Ignore this troll. Just here to bash apple. Review his week long posting history if you have any doubts.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Most WP7 powered phones have inferior specs with QSD8250 Snapdragons coupled with a weak Adreno 200 GPU. The iPhone 4's A4 cpu/SGX535 gpu and Nexus S's Hummingbird cpu/SGX540 gpu easily outpace WP7 devices at the moment.

What were seeing in the video is (pessimistic) a biased test by Microsoft or (optimistic) some really good features that will produce an even smoother/higher optimized experience from Microsoft. A good feat if they've pulled it off IMO.

Edit: I just saw come comments on BGR that the iPhone wasn't even running the latest version of iOS and was still on 4.2.x, is this true? Why didn't MS test the latest version?

The demo they used is publicly accessible here:
http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Views/SiteMap/Default.html

It's called "Speed Reading".

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Thanks.
How does it run on Internet Explorer on wp7 today? It would have been nice to see how much of an improvment had been made from the old IE.

It doesn't run because the current version of Internet Explorer on Windows Phone 7 doesn't support HTML5 elements like <canvas>.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C

IF true, it makes sense, Apple did put some impressive software upgrades into 4.3 for the browser

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Essential move if they are really going to fight against iOS and Android. Hopefully this update will make it a noteworthy competitor. I'm looking forward to Nokia's WP7 phones. Not really to buy one but Nokia is a crucial part of our economy

I most certainly agree.

The revitalization of Microsoft's smartphone business would be a very welcome accomplishment.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
i love your m$ hate. calling ballmer a monkey boy clinches it.

this is not an :apple: fanboy response either. i just feel you on ballmer.

Hey look I'm a long-time MSFT user and I hate Ballmer too. He's done great stuff for MSFT in the enterprise-side of the business, but has been totally useless for the consumer. MSFT should split into 2 companies, consumer & enterprise. Ballmer can run the ent-division.

BTW, the WP7 UI looks really cool & innovative and IF I were in the market for a smartphone, I'd be looking at that first.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

I like to keep him unblocked for the comedy value his posts bring me.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I like to keep him unblocked for the comedy value his posts bring me.

I used to do that along with seeing the Apple Fanboy argument. It made it really easy to know which arguments to throw out as fanboy arguments.
I just got tired of dealing with it and being drawn in to respond to it. LTD has seem to clean up his act a little since his time out but before I put him on the ignore list his post started getting worse and worse

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Hi, my name is Melrose and I used a Windows Phone 7 and really liked it.

To be honest, I welcome any updates they can make to the software. I tried it out yesterday (for the first real time) and was very impressed by both the function and design of the OS. Microsoft, honestly, got it fairly right this time.

If it had the ability to work as seamlessly with my Mac, like iPhone/iTunes/etc, I'd seriously consider getting the HD7.

:eek:

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Hi, my name is Melrose and I used a Windows Phone 7 and really liked it.

To be honest, I welcome any updates they can make to the software. I tried it out yesterday (for the first real time) and was very impressed by both the function and design of the OS. Microsoft, honestly, got it fairly right this time.

If it had the ability to work as seamlessly with my Mac, like iPhone/iTunes/etc, I'd seriously consider getting the HD7.

:eek:

Did you know that Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 Connector is available in the App Store?

Yeah, it makes things seamless.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Did you know that Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 Connector is available in the App Store?

Yeah, it makes things seamless.

I mean seamless as in "integrated to the same level I already have from my iPhone." Primarily, that is iTunes but it's really the whole ecosystem, across the board, that just makes it easy to use.

Also, the lack of Apps would hold me back a bit - I can live without stupid ones like Angry birds but it would be cool to have a couple of my favourite games on the device (PvZ and Shift). I also like having 50,000 apps to choose from if I want to. Call me spoiled. :eek:

I would seriously consider switching in the future, if things move in the right direction for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.