Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When iOS 8 is released to the public this fall, users will be able to take advantage of several new operating system features, including app extensions. App extensions are designed to allow third-party apps to share services with other apps, letting apps work together and interface in ways that they never have before.

We've shared a brief look at app extensions in the iOS 8 version of 1Password, but as the launch date of the new operating system approaches, developers are hard at work integrating Apple's APIs into their apps and have been sharing more information on some of the ways app extensions will work.

Microsoft will be updating OneNote for iPhone and iPad to take advantage of Apple's iOS 8 share extension, adding useful new capabilities to the note taking app through built-in share sheets.

As demoed in the video above, a OneNote button in Safari (accessed via the share sheet) will let users quickly clip articles and information from the web, automatically inserting content into the OneNote app. The OneNote Share Extension will also allow users to export files to OneDrive, Microsoft's cloud storage service, and it's also possible to save photos from the device's camera roll to the app.

The sharing functions built into the OneNote app will undoubtedly become common features in many iOS apps in the future, making it easier than ever to share content between apps and services. In addition to offering inter-app sharing features, Apple's Extensibility APIs let apps access system-wide third party keyboards, add widgets to the Notification Center, share photo editing extensions, and more.

Microsoft plans to release its OneNote update on the same day that iOS 8 becomes available to the public, which should be shortly before the iPhone 6 begins shipping to customers.

Microsoft OneNote can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link: iPad/iPhone]

Article Link: Microsoft Preparing to Add Share Extension Support to OneNote for iOS 8

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Cool info about OneNote 8 support, but not nearly as good as what we'll be seeing during tomorrow's keynote. Can't wait!!! :D

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Wonderful.
Now all that is missing is stylus support like the Windows version has.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Any knows if iOS 8 will allow to download and save files. I can do that in an app but I have noticed iOS7 doesnt allow that.

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
These extensions are great... but what happens when we end up with 25 apps, all with their own extensions (and that's only if each app only has 1 extension apiece).

How intuitive is it going to be finding the extension you want when the list could be so long and only 4 extensions are visible at a time?

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Cool info about OneNote 8 support, but not nearly as good as what we'll be seeing during tomorrow's keynote. Can't wait!!! :D

You really just wanted first comment didn't you. Please fish more.

-----------------
Anyway, I seriously wish Apple's Notes was up to par with how well you can organize in One Note. Give ME the ability to create proper subject headings! One note tabs and color coding for the win.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
These extensions are great... but what happens when we end up with 25 apps, all with their own extensions (and that's only if each app only has 1 extension apiece).

How intuitive is it going to be finding the extension you want when the list could be so long and only 4 extensions are visible at a time?

Good point. I don’t like the horizontal swiping (which is also applied in the App Store). Buy an iPhone 6 and you will see 4,5 extensions :)

Also, when looking at this video you realise how trivial this feature is. It’s one of those things you can’t understand how we ever lived without it. It was by far the biggest missing feature in iOS.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am very excited for this, I love OneNote.

----------

An article about an app supporting a feature in the new version of iOS.

Wow, MR, your hit whoring is showing

Who peed in your cereal? This is one of the first well known apps supporting a major new feature in the upcoming iOS 8. I think it's a nice example of what's to come.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
When iOS 8 is released to the public this fall, users will be able to take advantage of several new operating system features, including app extensions. App extensions are designed to allow third-party apps to share services with other apps, letting apps work together and interface in ways that they never have before.

How will this be possible without compromising the consistent security approach that IOS is known for?

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010

Perhaps it will be sorted by recently used.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
How will this be possible without compromising the consistent security approach that IOS is known for?

The extension is still running inside the sandbox - I think this is explained on session 205 on the WWDC app.

----------

Perhaps it will be sorted by recently used.

I don't think they get auto-install - at least the demo they show the user had to add/accept the extension.

I get your point - what happens when you have 20 of them. I still prefer having them than not.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
You really just wanted first comment didn't you. Please fish more.

-----------------
Anyway, I seriously wish Apple's Notes was up to par with how well you can organize in One Note. Give ME the ability to create proper subject headings! One note tabs and color coding for the win.

So sorry I beat you to it, dude. No need to whine. :cool:

I really hope the iOS 8 OneNote iPhone update addrsses not being able to clearly see the titles of my notes/tabs. I have too many to realisically rename everything when they cut-off. (Anything descriptive or over two words gets chopped, leaving you to click and guess.) Also, I hope Microsoft provides a "list view" option for tab viewing so I can clearly see everything at once. The scrolling can be painful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.