Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft plans to launch a small foldable Surface tablet in the first half of 2020, according to Jeff Lin, an analyst at research firm IHS Markit.

surface-go.jpg
Microsoft Surface Go

In an email shared with Forbes citing supply chain information, Lin said he expects Microsoft to debut a Surface with dual 9-inch screens featuring a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Perhaps more interestingly, Lin also claims Microsoft's forthcoming next-gen Windows operating system, Windows Core OS, will be able to run Android apps natively. The new Surface will also apparently support Apple's iCloud services in Windows 10.

The device will also reportedly adopt an Intel 10nm Lakefield system-on-a-chip (SOC). Lin believes the dual-screen Surface could arrive as early as the first quarter of 2020, or by the first half of 2020.

Bearing in mind the problems that foldable displays have already presented for Samsung, it will be intriguing to see how Microsoft intends to implement a dynamic dual-display in a foldable tablet design.

Additionally, it's unclear how Microsoft plans to host its own Android App Store separate from the Google Play store, and how that would align with the company's existing Universal Windows Platform, which provides developers with a common app platform on every device that runs Windows 10.

Earlier this year reports began appearing that Microsoft is planning to launch a dual-screen mobile device, codenamed "Centaurus." The company even teased dual-screen Surface hardware in an all hands event for its devices team earlier this month, according to The Verge.

IHS Markit analyst Lin on Sunday also predicted Apple's MacBook plans for later this year, which are said to include a 16-inch MacBook Pro and refreshes for its 13-inch MacBook Pro sans Touch Bar and MacBook Air.

Article Link: Microsoft Prepping Foldable Dual-Screen Surface Tablet That Runs Android Apps

coords

macrumors member
May 25, 2013

Microsoft plans to launch a small foldable Surface tablet in the first half of 2020, according to Jeff Lin, an analyst at research firm IHS Markit.

surface-go.jpg

Microsoft Surface Go

In an email shared with Forbes citing supply chain information, Lin said he expects Microsoft to debut a Surface with dual 9-inch screens featuring a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Perhaps more interestingly, Lin also claims Microsoft's forthcoming next-gen Windows operating system, Windows Core OS, will be able to run Android apps natively. The new Surface will also apparently support Apple's iCloud services in Windows 10.

The device will also reportedly adopt an Intel 10nm Lakefield system-on-a-chip (SOC). Lin believes the dual-screen Surface could arrive as early as the first quarter of 2020, or by the first half of 2020.

Bearing in mind the problems that foldable displays have already presented for Samsung, it will be intriguing to see how Microsoft intends to implement a dynamic dual-display in a foldable tablet design.

Additionally, it's unclear how Microsoft plans to host its own Android App Store separate from the Google Play store, and how that would align with the company's existing Universal Windows Platform, which provides developers with a common app platform on every device that runs Windows 10.

Earlier this year reports began appearing that Microsoft is planning to launch a dual-screen mobile device, codenamed "Centaurus." The company even teased dual-screen Surface hardware in an all hands event for its devices team earlier this month, according to The Verge.

IHS Markit analyst Lin on Sunday also predicted Apple's MacBook plans for later this year, which are said to include a 16-inch MacBook Pro and refreshes for its 13-inch MacBook Pro sans Touch Bar and MacBook Air.

Article Link: Microsoft Prepping Foldable Dual-Screen Surface Tablet That Runs Android Apps
[doublepost=1561372689][/doublepost]This is absolutely hilarious!! Good luck to those poor souls who choose for such a device!!

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Still waiting for the day that Google or Microsoft do something enticing enough to make me at least be *kind of* want their hardware.

So far... Nada.

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Still waiting for the day that Google or Microsoft do something enticing enough to make me at least be *kind of* want their hardware.

So far... Nada.

Say what you will but Surfaces are wildly popular with enterprise users in particular. Maybe the USB C iPad or IpadOS will change that at some point but I rarely see anyone using an iPad in a meeting or for working on their lap at a conference. Surface Pros are everywhere, though.

Slightly different markets, I get that, but don't dismiss Microsofts hardware abilities.

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
@ “Windows Core OS”

Microsoft hitching its trailer to the Android horse makes sense, considering Apple’s move of iOS apps on MacOS. Otherwise, Microsoft wouldn’t have been able to stay relevant in the “Mobile first” future. Doing that Microsoft ensures that Windows and Android will remain ubiquitous, and the significantly larger number of Windows and Android users compared to macOS and iOS ... will be very happy with that integration.

It’s a win-win situation for the world’s most popular OSes, albeit an insecure one. It’ll be interesting to see how Microsoft handles security on this matter.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
We complain sometimes about Apple but compared to Microsoft the Mac / iOS ecosystem l, development frameworks & user experience is incredible.

Windows is stuck with the ageing win32 as the primary development framework. Microsoft can’t move their developers from their newer universal windows app framework - mainly because they never were able to offer a compelling vision of what it was themselves. And now with the new Edge being a win32 app that seems to be the future again.

Ms just seem to be mired in this no mans land of trying to look forward but unable to escape their legacy. And unable to offer a compelling user experience as well.

I think often that their new focus on azure, machine learning and AI suits Microsoft more. I’d still be worried if I was senior there about the company’s inability to do good UI.

Reactions: LinusR and bwintx

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
I don't know if they will run android apps, Project Astoria was cancelled on windows mobile

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Say what you will but Surfaces are wildly popular with enterprise users in particular. Maybe the USB C iPad or IpadOS will change that at some point but I rarely see anyone using an iPad in a meeting or for working on their lap at a conference. Surface Pros are everywhere, though.

Slightly different markets, I get that, but don't dismiss Microsofts hardware abilities.

I think some of the success of the Surface comes from PC loving IT departments. Where I work they give people Surface Pros to use when they ask for iPads because they say that Windows is easier to manage. And most people don’t argue.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

I see the exact opposite. If it's not an actual laptop, then the users have iPads.
[doublepost=1561380282][/doublepost]
@ “Windows Core OS”

Microsoft hitching its trailer to the Android horse makes sense, considering Apple’s move of iOS apps on MacOS. Otherwise, Microsoft wouldn’t have been able to stay relevant in the “Mobile first” future. Doing that Microsoft ensures that Windows and Android will remain ubiquitous, and the significantly larger number of Windows and Android users compared to macOS and iOS ... will be very happy with that integration.

It’s a win-win situation for the world’s most popular OSes, albeit an insecure one. It’ll be interesting to see how Microsoft handles security on this matter.

Maybe with the addition of Windows Defender, android will finally be secure. At least on this device. :D

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008

That’s interesting. I see the opposite. How is it that this wildly popular device still does not sell in significant volumes. Keep in mind the business world buys the majority of PCs. That alone should have this device at number one. Remember all the reports of Zune being wildly popular until it was cancelled for lack of sales. Also, why would they need to embrace Android the same software Google is distancing itself from. Lol

raybob

macrumors member
May 12, 2017
Los Angeles
Apple made a lot of the recent changes on Ipad to compete with microsoft surface so they don't lose the tablet market. IMO if it wasn’t for surface, we wouldn’t have the ability to do most things we do today on Ipad today.

Microsoft is doing good things. The surface looks great. Honestly I wish Apple would adopt that kickstand and a trackpad in their keyboard....

I still remember the Courier product idea they had 10 years ago. I wanted that so bad.
Yeah I remember feeling the exact same! Or at least being more excited about the potential of Apple’s upcoming “tablet”.... and then it just ran a blow up iPhoneOS.... haha. So disappointing! Note: I love and am typing on my iPad Pro right now

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Huh? How did I dismiss Microsoft? Lol.

I’m aware of what the Surface Pro can do. It’s just not for me and doesn’t integrate into my world/ecosystem. Kudos to everyone that uses it. I would never tell them “you should just get a Mac.”

It’s just not for ME, period

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I still remember the Courier product idea they had 10 years ago. I wanted that so bad.
I never got why people loved this concept. The device renders made it look super thick and heavy. It seemed like it would only apply to a limited audience. Also one of the reasons the project never moved forward was it had no email support.

This device appears to be similar to what Samsung and Huawei are doing though without the phone component.
[doublepost=1561383804][/doublepost]
Glad to see competition and companies who are at least trying to ‘think different’.
How exactly is this thinking different when everybody is doing it now? The industry as a whole has pretty much decided foldable screens are the next big thing. I’m sure Apple has foldable concepts in some lab somewhere too.

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
The Surface laptops are not as good as they make out (At least the non Pro model). Just replaced 3 Surface users with the old style Macbook Airs. The Surfaces were 3 years old and could not even last 1 hour in a meeting to take notes without the battery going dead and the users just said they were slow, in contrast our 6 year old Macbook Airs from 2013 used almost every day still last 5 or 6 hours on battery. Having seen the issues over the last few years over at thurrott.com with endless firmware updates for the Surface Pro to fix battery drain when hibernated or blue screens , i do not think the Surface is that great.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Google and Microsoft need to give up. You will never enter the tablet game with subpar android apps.
Keep on censoring, google.
Android marketshare is about 80% outside of the United States. This is a smart move to allow both Windows and Android apps which are the combined majority of desktop and mobile operating systems.

Reactions: Falhófnir
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.