Microsoft project gallery quit unexpectedly please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macbookairhelp, Jul 1, 2008.

1. macbookairhelp macrumors member

I have a macbook air and I was doing something on it and I accidently took Microsoft project gallery off my dock (it was not on my screen) so I found it i applications and I put it on my screen, then on my dock, but I deleted it on the screen so I had to take it out of the trash for it to work. I tried to open up the gallery when both were there. (But it wasn't on my dock???) So I clicked on it and a message came up and said
    The applicatoin microsoft project gallery quit unexpectedly.
    MAc OS X and other applicatons are not affected.
    Cik relaunch to launch the application again. Click report to see more deails or send a report to Apple.
    I'd really like to use this program to do things but if it won't work I can't use it! I rebooted my laptop. Please help!

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Ok, here's a very basic lesson in applications...

If you drag an app out of the Applications folder, you are MOVING it from the applications folder, which means it's now stored wherever you moved it to.

So, by you dragging it out of the apps folder then presumably a shortcut onto your dock, and then trashing the app...You might have really screwed something up.

So I'd recommend putting it back into the applications folder, then re-launching it. The icon should appear in the dock. At this point you can choose to keep it there simply by dragging it to another location in the dock, OR you can right click it, and press Keep in Dock.

Many people who are newer to Mac or haven't had occasion to try to make a "shortcut" or an Alias as they are called on Mac don't realize that they don't function the same as in Windows.

If all else fails, run the Installer for Office Mac 2008 again and it should repair your installation.

3. macbookairhelp thread starter macrumors member

okay.
    First of all thank you so much! I tried the first way but that didn't work. When you mean installer do you mean like the disk? I can't find the thing that says installer in the applications. PLease and thank you!

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Yes, just simply reinstall Office from the original disk. Office is one of the few programs for mac that actually uses an "installer" rather than dragging and dropping the application from inside a .dmg directly to the applications folder.

That should fix everything.

5. macbookairhelp thread starter macrumors member

okay thank you.
    I would but I don't have the disk because it's an mabook air and when the person that bought it for me at the store put it on at the store. I'll live. Thank you SO much! I would like give you reps, that's a different website though. Thank you.