Microsoft Project

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 5 Hawgs, Jun 9, 2011.

1. 5 Hawgs macrumors newbie

Need help... I have a Macbook pro (2008) mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

I am trying to load MS Project and other windows programs. What application(s) do I need, to be able to load these programs?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. simsaladimbamba

4. 5 Hawgs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply GGJStudios. Once I install Boot Camp, will i have to switch between Boot Camp and OS X or will it just allow me to install windows program all of the time?

5. simsaladimbamba

Read the guide I linked to.
    To use Windows via Boot Camp you will have to boot into Windows, thus you can't use Mac OS X to install applications into Windows.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you have Windows installed via Boot Camp, you choose at startup whether you want to boot into Windows or Mac OS X. If you want to run Mac OS X and only run an occasional Windows app, use Parallels or Fusion.

7. wpotere Guest

Boot camp makes the system a dual boot machine. This means that you are creating a partition and installing Windows (you have to buy it) then as you boot the computer you can make the choice between Windows (to use your windows apps) or OSx.

8. 5 Hawgs thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it, thanks guys! I will try it tonight and let you know how it goes.

9. 5 Hawgs thread starter macrumors newbie

Which is the better in your experience, Parallels or VMware?

10. wpotere Guest

I use VMWare (more of an industry standard) but have also played with Parallels and they are both worthy for virtual machines. That being said, you don't really need this software unless you don't want to dual boot.

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Wait. Before you go installing an entire OS just to run Project, why not check out Crossover to see if it will run directly in OS X under "emulation" (also called "wine"). I know some versions of MS Office run very well under Crossover. What happens in Crossover is a Win 2000 or Win XP "bottle" gets started up to run the app and all the files are kept in a folder on your Mac called "C drive." Using Crossover might involve a lot less effort than going through an entire Windows install and dealing with XP activation simply to run one program.

You asked about Parallels or Vmware, both of which are not free but if you decide you still want to run an OS just to run Project, there is also the freeware "virtualbox". Just keep in mind that with Vmware, Parallels or Virtualbox you will need a Windows license. Crossover isn't free but it costs less than an OEM copy of Windows.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I wouldn't recommend Crossover. Apps run terrible in it, if at all. OP: please take my advice and just stick to either Bootcamp or a VM.

PS. If you're defiantly going for a VM, you may as well try out VirtualBox before you pay for anything.

13. 5 Hawgs thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan to use more than just MS Project. I want to have the option to use various windows applications if need be. I think buying windows 7 home and parallels will work for me. However, I am still taking your comments into consideration.

I am new to the mac world and want to make the best decision that works. So, with that said, is Windows 7 and Parallels the best way to go?

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I run project and visio 2010 pro in VMs ALL DAY for work. I wouldn't use anything other than VMWare. The experience is flawless IMO.

15. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I switched from Parallels to VMWare because I found VMWare to be more stable. Parallels does seem to be faster, but more buggy. Also the Parallels support seemed to be lacking. Besides Windoze, I also run Linux in a VM - VMWare does a much better job with Linux VMs.