Microsoft Publisher

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kezzza, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Kezzza macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have the 2011 Microsoft Office suite. However, I have no idea how to use Powerpoint, and would love to acquire Publisher.

Does anyone know if it's available as a stand-alone purchase for my Mac? Or if not, could someone recommend a similar program.

If not, I'll just dig out my 'Power Point for Dummies' book and try to learn that.

Thank you.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

MS Publisher for Mac does not exist. To get it, you'll have to buy the non-cheap version of Office 2010 for Windows.

3. Kezzza thread starter macrumors newbie

My 2011 was originally the 2010 version with a free upgrade, but it never had publisher to start with.

So, I guess I'll be reading a 'Dummies' book, or dragging my old, dusty PC out of hibernation.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

How can you upgrade from Office for Windows to Office for Mac for free?

5. Kezzza thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure, lucky I guess.

Actually I think it was because I bought the 2010 version in January 2011, and the release date for the 2011 version was October 2010 (so mine was superseded.)

Who am I to complain?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no way to upgrade from Office 2010, which is Windows only, to Office 2011, which is Mac only. No matter how hard you try, Microsoft will not present you with a free upgrade. The two products are too far apart for that.

7. Kezzza, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

Kezzza thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? What was the previous Mac version? Let me find my original paperwork........

Okay, sorry. It wasn't the 2010 version I bought, it was the 2008 one. Still, it was purchased in January 2011 when I bought my Mac. And they still upgraded it a few weeks later.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Check your numbers. It could have been 2008->2011 or 2007->2010. But it was not 2010->2011. That upgrade path isn't even valid within Microsoft's own systems.

9. Kezzza thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That upgrade could have happened. Now back to your original question, you'll need to get a version of Office for Windows and a Windows machine to run it on if you want Publisher.

11. shyam09, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

this will definitely come in handy :)

Get Started with PowerPoint 2011

to address your second question:
    Publisher is non existent on the Mac version of Office, however, you can use microsoft Word sort of.. they have templates for a bunch fo things, [check the attachments]

but you can buy Publisher separately and either:
    a) Install it on a Windows Computer
    OR b) Install Parallels or VMWare Fusion [must buy] and then buy a copy of Windows [must buy] and install it.
    OSX --> Parallels/WMWare Fusion [app to virtualize Operating Systems]--> Windows [OS] --> Publisher [program for Windows only]
    Basically you will be running Publisher alongside your other mac apps [i think im doing a horrible job explaining it to you, but ill give it one more shot: Basically you will be using a virtualizing app to virtualize Windows, then you will install Publisher [which you will buy] and then you can use you OSX and Windows at the same time.

Attached Files: