microsoft pwnt ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cavanboy18, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Cavanboy18 macrumors regular

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Old news. Also a completely different product category.

3. Nexus4144 macrumors member

very old, thats been around for a long time. Plus something that costs somewhere north of $10,000 isnt really for everyone

4. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Maybe we should make a separate forum for haters?

5. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Fixed it for you!

Please don't speak for "we" because quite a few of "we" ordered an iPad. Microsoft is late to the show....if they even show.

Steve

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

:confused: You went back three years for a product that never went anywhere? Most people don't have a $12,500 budget for a 21st century version of the sit-down PacMan game. It's not exactly a mobile-friendly device. :)

7. alywa macrumors 6502

God, I can't wait to carry a MS surface for business trips, on airplanes or trains, etc. Totally blows this stupid iPad out of the water. I mean, sure I'll need $20K, a generator (or a REALLY long extension cord) and a handtruck to lug the thing around, but it will certainly make playing Ms. Pacman feel just like the taverns of the 1980's, only TOUCH SCREEN.

/WTF are you talking about, OP? MS's Courier, while still vapor, looks like a reasonable thing to say may possibly "pwn" the iPad.

8. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Excellent post. And I'd still take the iPad over the Courier, personally.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I can see some really great educational applications for this if it ever gets going, which it may in some years, but I can't see it having anything to do with iPad competition :)

10. iPadusr macrumors newbie

11. Cavanboy18 thread starter macrumors regular

Well as you can see most of you fail! i said this is technology we were looking for. not a huge ipad. yes its cheap and portable. but im talking about at technological level. the ipad is a move forward by a step. what microsoft is working on isnt for everyone. but its a leap ahead

12. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

A virtual book is a "leap ahead"?

I disagree

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It amazes me how some people think that it's essentially an oversized iPod touch. They changed the UI significantly to fit the screen size better. Just wait until third party apps come out specifically for the iPad. You'll see a major difference then.

14. Cavanboy18 thread starter macrumors regular

you guys are totally missing the point. there is nothing new about the ipad. everything it can do can be done now. its just bigger. its like reinventing the wheel. when Microsoft is working on a hovercraft. lulz

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why are you even comparing them? One is an appliance (which would be cool to have if affordable and works as advertised) and the other is a mobile casual computing device. If anything these two products would be amazing TOGETHER in a perfect world...

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Microsoft Surface has been a flop for years (because of the price and MS's lack of vision). It's essentially a visual projector and infrared projectors/sensors in a box. Huge leap ahead :rolleyes:

And I agree with NT1440, they're not really comparable.

What people fail to understand is that it's all about the UI, NOT the hardware.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, I was gonna go into detail about how I think MS's whole approach from the technical standpoint is flawed (a projector? really? And what's with using IR? Shouldn't we use some sort of standard like BT or a direct wifi connection?) but I was too lazy. :p

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Microsoft is like the Apple of the 90's. Lots of great ideas, none of them ever get brought to market and the ones that do fail miserably for a multitude of reasons.

Microsoft remain profitable thanks to Windows and Office, two huge cash cows, the rest of the business is in tatters.

19. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I believe their Xbox business is now making a profit. Although they have many years of investment to recoup.

20. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

LOL! Thanks for the chuckle.

The week MS demoed Surface on The TODAY Show in 2007 ($10K), Apple announced the iPhone ($499). Touch screen that fits in your pocket.

Show me a website where I can order a MS Surface device, I mean it is 2010, surely it is now for-sale 3+ years later right?

EDIT: I see I can now buy one for $12,500. I'll get right on that...:rolleyes:

21. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

To the OP the thing about the iPad is that its not the hardware that will make it a success. The hardware is plain ordinary. Its the software that makes the iPad. until Developers start creating iPad specific apps the iPad will be seen as an oversized iPod. Once the apps start appearing it will be a market defining product like the iPhone and iPod. Remember the iPhone, it started off well, but only really took off when the apps started appearing.

Anyone can create a monster machine with amazing specs etc but if it runs MS Dos its still going to be crap!

22. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

The word 'pwnt' in the subject line doesn't give away that it's a troll thread?

23. Doju macrumors 68000

The wheel was one of the world's most life changing inventions ever, a reinvention of it would be incredible... :confused:

24. admanimal macrumors 68040

Right, because Apple is not working on any new technology that we don't know about. They never keep any secrets.

Microsoft likes to tell people about their R&D as soon as they have something relatively cool to show off, regardless of whether it has the potential to ever make it into a consumer-level product. Apple tells people about their R&D when it's in a product that is about to ship.