Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TechFlash reports that Microsoft has recruited former Apple real estate chief George Blankenship as a consultant for its new retail initiative. Blankenship, who previously worked at Gap, is said to be an expert at securing prime retail locations.
A Microsoft representative confirmed that he's now working on real estate with Microsoft -- but as a consultant, not as a full-time employee. The company declined to go into any detail on his role, but his experience stands to be a big benefit as Microsoft pushes into the retail market.
ifoAppleStore explains the significance of the choice of retail locations in Apple's growth of their retail stores. Conventional wisdom at the time located retail computer stores on inexpensive stand-alone retail locations. Apple's plan focused on high-profile retail locations in the heart of high-traffic shopping centers:
In a 2006 speech to an investment group, Johnson recalled the early planning: "If you want to enrich their lives, you can't be in a parking lot, off a highway. You gotta be where they live their life. You gotta be right where they work, where they play, where they live, where they shop. The only way to enrich their life is to be part of their life. They've got to walk 10 feet to your store, not drive the car 10 miles. That's what enriching lives would take."
This plan, of course, has been a success despite early predictions by both analysts and press that Apple's move into retail was a bad idea at the time. Microsoft's move into storefronts is said to be more of a "showcase" of their products than pure retail outlets.

Article Link: Microsoft Recruits Former Apple Retail Store Exec for Retail Initiative

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
"A frosted dog turd is not a wedding cake..."

They can dress it up all they want but it will still be a Microsoft experience. Ick...

Comment

futureswitcher

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
microsoft products...

as in Vista? ...Should be quite a show.

"Check out this awesome computer pre-loaded with.......Office!*:eek::eek:

*60-day free trial.

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I wonder if Apple will have issues with this. This will be interesting to watch unfold.

Comment

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Prime retail space costs tens of thousands per month in rent. Microsoft just wants to showcase its products?

Ooh...let's go play with Excel macros!

Comment

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
Its a very weird angle... it seems like its once again a "me too!" from Microsoft. Why do you need a store dedicated to showcasing Microsoft products? Walk in to any bestbuy/futureshop/staples/etc and see a wall of Vista and try it out.
Very odd...

Comment

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
There sure has been an awful lot of former-apple-employee-recruiting these past few months.

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Won't work. It's the company culture, not the people.

I am currently working at a MS centric company. The whole culture just doesn't work with the well designed, high usability culture of Mac users.

Comment

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Micro$oft will never be a leader by invention/innovation... they will only ever have that great ability to copy everyone else's great ideas...

Comment

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Won't work. It's the company culture, not the people.

I am currently working at a MS centric company. The whole culture just doesn't work with the well designed, high usability culture of Mac users.
Interesting perspective.

Definitely two companies with very different cultures.

Comment

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
following the previous post about MS opening retail stores, there were a lot of people saying us mac "fanboys" should get over ourselves, that APPLE hadn't invented retail, and that MS wasn't trying to copy them.

any doubts now?!

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Monkey see, monkey do.

Microsoft is the most derivative company in history. I can think of nothing they've done that wasn't done by a competitor first. It's a shame their complete lack of original ideas still managed to result in their becoming the 800 lb. gorilla.

Fate can be an evil mistress indeed.

Comment

zang

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2005
Uhhhh...

If, as stated in other stories, Microsoft will be leasing properties in very near proximity to Apple stores, why do they need an exec to find property? Seems a little overkill, when MS has the money to secure just about any property they want? Just find a property across from an Apple store and offer a gajillion dollars for it.

Comment

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
If, as stated in other stories, Microsoft will be leasing properties in very near proximity to Apple stores, why do they need an exec to find property? Seems a little overkill, when MS has the money to secure just about any property they want? Just find a property across from an Apple store and offer a gajillion dollars for it.

for the same reasons they spent some portion of $300 million on an ad campaign that says "...and I'm a PC."

Comment

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
Micro$oft Stores

Has MS ever came out with anything original and not sTOLen ?

MS Stores, now this should be a waste of money on there part, I am thinking of the local mall in our town , "Worst Buy" is upstairs and "Apple" is down stairs. So your going to bring in MS people to sell ? There OS, Office, maybe there dot net technologies? They could give classes on BING

Must be a balmer idea, with his tongue hanging out and scoffing at the iPhone.

They'll more than likely team up with HP for computers

Comment

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
I don't get it at all.

I remember the old Gateway Store (free standing) that rarely had a car in the parking lot. I went in there once, and the only other customers in the store were returning for service.

Nobody stops at the Dell kiosk in the mall either. The attendants (they aren't sales people, cause nobody is buying) often read or play games to pass the time.

I remember my first visit in an Apple Store almost 3 years ago. I had never owned an Apple product. I was intrigued by the sleek design of the computers. The staff introduced me to Apple hardware AND software and I never looked back. I appreciated the intro classes and one on one training, which was included in Pro Care at that time.

So what will a MS store do? They have no hardware to feature. Will it be nothing more than a place for tweens to gather to check email ? Will they offer classes for MS Word and (yawn) Excel?

Just imagine the amount of time the staff will spend un-doing the hacker mischief.

Why?

Comment

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Microsoft's copycat culture is becoming blatantly apparent to even those outside the Mac community. The more they align themselves with Apple, the worse they look.

Comment

techbuoy

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
I don't get it. What does Microsoft hope to accomplish? What will they sell in these stores, Zunes and Windows 7? There sure as hell won't be any compelling reasons to buy overpriced PCs these stores. This is definitely a "it works for Apple so obviously it will work for us" strategy.

Jeff
http://www.techbuoy.com

Comment

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
So, what are they going to sell at the store?

Zune? I'll pass. I have Ipod.
MS Office? I can download it for free.
MS Keyboard & Mouse? I prefer Logitech.

If they don't have HOT booth girls I wont go. :D

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Microsoft's copycat culture is becoming blatantly apparent to even those outside the Mac community. The more they align themselves with Apple, the worse they look.

Nah, they'll always claim that someone else did it before Apple, so Microsoft is just doing what Apple is doing. This attitude goes all the way back to Bill Gates' famous comment about trying to steal the neighbor's (Xerox) TV and finding that Steve Jobs had already stolen it. It was a weak excuse then, and a weak excuse now, but the Winbots will keep using it.

Microsoft's complete lack of originality is truly mind-blowing.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
This will be fun to watch!

I can see the line at the MS Store for Virus removal and OS reinstalls! :D

Instead of a Genius Bar, they will have just a Bar! This way you can have a good stiff drink while your PC is being resurrected! LOL!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.