Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft Releases Office 2008 12.2.7 and Office 2004 11.6.1 Updates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Microsoft today released several updates for users of its Office for Mac productivity suite, bringing security and stability improvements to Office 2008 and 2004, as well as a pair of ancillary updates.

- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.7 Update (332.8 MB)
This update improves stability. In addition, it includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code.
- Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.6.1 Update (16.4 MB):
This update improves security. It includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code.
Additional details on the security fixes, which address 11 vulnerabilities in Word and 13 in Excel, are available in Microsoft security bulletins.

- Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.1.7 (44.9 MB) and Microsoft Entourage 2008 for Mac, Web Services Edition (64.3 MB): These updates appear to primarily provide compatibility with the updated Office 2008 and 2004 versions.

The next version of Microsoft Office for Mac OS X, known as Office 2011, is set to launch two weeks from today.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Office 2008 12.2.7 and Office 2004 11.6.1 Updates

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
MS taking care of 7 year old software (Office 2004). Apple should learn from them.

Comment

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
MS taking care of 7 year old software (Office 2004). Apple should learn from them.

Do you honestly think Microsoft would still be supporting Office 2004 if Office 2008 wasn't lacking VBA (and a few other things)?

Comment

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Do you honestly think Microsoft would still be supporting Office 2004 if Office 2008 wasn't lacking VBA (and a few other things)?

Actually, no. Still them supporting it shows some degree of commitment that s commendable.

Comment

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
I would update and wait until 2011 will sync to Ical! 2011 only sync's contacts with sync services!!

I ran the update while I wait for MS.

Comment

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
I don't like this update. So, If you're typing and hit the down key, what should it do? Do down to the next line right? If you're on the bottle line, it goes to the end of typing right?

Now it goes to the first line on a new page. Huh?

When you hit return it looks like your text indicator (the flashing line) was tabbed out one indent. But if you start typing it appears on the line bellow. Huh?

Comment

brownpaw

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Have to close Safari to install update?

I am REALLY curious why the updater required me to close Safari for the update to finish. Did it change something or install some hidden plugin as Microsoft is known to do? I'm pretty sure I have never been required to close Safari in any previous updates.

Comment

Roselovr

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
Do Not Install This Update!!!

Read the discussion boards - if you are using Office 2004 certain excel files fail to open once the update is installed. There is no uninstall for the update - to revert to 11.6.0 you have to uninstall and reinstall Office and then go through 6 years of updates (excluding 11.6.1 of course)

Comment

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I am REALLY curious why the updater required me to close Safari for the update to finish. Did it change something or install some hidden plugin as Microsoft is known to do? I'm pretty sure I have never been required to close Safari in any previous updates.

Silverlight

Comment

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Should I just wait for the new release? Or do I need this revision for the next two weeks?

I would certainly upgrade to OFM 2011, it is light years ahead of 2008. As far as upgrading 2008 now? Probably won't hurt.

Comment

polren

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Update breaks sync with Exchange

Upon upgrade I have lost the ability to sync my account in Entourage with MS Exchange... no clue what to do besides reinstalling the whole thing from the beginning.

DON'T UPDATE, PROBLEMS!

Comment

milkmanamok

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
downloading pictures in Entourage HTML mail preview

I've always had Entourage set up so that messages in my inbox do not download any linked or embedded pictures, at least not until I click the link that says "Download pictures for this message"

With this update, that link has now disappeared and I'm now confronted with the option of indiscriminately & automatically downloading all images for all messages in my inbox (which I think is a security issue, certainly a privacy / tracking issue). . . or being unable to see any pictures for any new messages.

All or nothing, it seems. I played around with the preferences and looked at all menu bar options and am stumped. This does not seem like a positive enhancement.

Comment

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California

If you clicked on the "customize" button on the bottom left of the installer, it would show you everything it installs. The latest version of Silverlight would be one of those things.

JEEEEEEEZ.
thanks for the tip on silverlight. this office update made my firefox refuse to download any information. disabling silverlight and some office client fixed it right up.

:rolleyes: So Firefox just up and quit working huh? I've never once heard of Silverlight (or any plugin really) completely stopping a browser from working (in either OS X or Windows on any browser). Are you sure you didn't do something else?

Comment

smokestack

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
:rolleyes: So Firefox just up and quit working huh? I've never once heard of Silverlight (or any plugin really) completely stopping a browser from working (in either OS X or Windows on any browser). Are you sure you didn't do something else?

from my recollection that was the only thing.
installed the update. did a reboot. firefox opened all my old windows but loaded no pages (all said 'stopped' in lower corner, firefox help pages wouldn't load, internal pages like about:support did load).

aside from that, all i can say is that when i disabled silverlight and office client it cleared right up.
no probs with safari.

Comment

Fatboymart

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
South Wales UK
from my recollection that was the only thing.
installed the update. did a reboot. firefox opened all my old windows but loaded no pages (all said 'stopped' in lower corner, firefox help pages wouldn't load, internal pages like about:support did load).

aside from that, all i can say is that when i disabled silverlight and office client it cleared right up.
no probs with safari.

I'm new to the hole Mac thing, so innocently went ahead and aloud Microsoft to update this morning. What a mistake. After 45 minutes of trying to close down MY DAY my Mac just froze. I've removed com.Microsoft.myday... Tried to stop my day from starting after reboot. All a waste of time. I can't believe I came away from window's because of this kind of trouble only to make the same mistake again. Will I ever learn.

Comment

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
I strongly suggest not installing this update

I strongly suggest not installing this update. It breaks Entourage for many people. Images in messages either do not display or take a very long time to download. Like most folks I have my preferences set not to display images automatically for security reasons. Now as often as not, the yellow "download images" bar no longer appears and you get an email full of empty boxes with question marks in them. Re-sizing the mail window has cured this for some but it does not work for me. Luckily, I have only upgraded 2 of our 5 machines. There are various threads on Mactopia and Macupdate about this really dimwit action from MS. Obviously they want us to all buy their over-priced Office 2011.

Wilson

Comment

mercury666

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
I strongly suggest not installing this update. It breaks Entourage for many people. Images in messages either do not display or take a very long time to download. Like most folks I have my preferences set not to display images automatically for security reasons. Now as often as not, the yellow "download images" bar no longer appears and you get an email full of empty boxes with question marks in them. Re-sizing the mail window has cured this for some but it does not work for me. Luckily, I have only upgraded 2 of our 5 machines. There are various threads on Mactopia and Macupdate about this really dimwit action from MS. Obviously they want us to all buy their over-priced Office 2011.

Wilson

I just witnessed that image download bug myself after installing the update. I've found a fix in the officeformac.com forum that works for me:

This is an issue from the updater. Simply resize the window a bit and
you'll see the link. Another option is to try this fix posted here:

I've found a workaround that should be less tedious than resizing the
window.

Go to Preferences, and click on the "Read" tab under "Mail & News
Preferences."

Under the "Messages" section, check the second check box, and give the time
delay a non-zero number. Mine was already set to 5 seconds, so that I can
skim through messages without marking them as having been read right away.

For me, the "display images" link appears once that time delay is reached
and the message status changes from not read to read.

I think that's a nice workaround for now, at least it's doing fine for me.

Comment

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Do not update!

I updated on Friday, and since then I've had Entourage crash on me several times a day. Already tried repairing disk permissions, just in case. A coworker is having similar problems, though not as frequently.

Comment

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
i have to be honest, for an office update to be about 500mb, or instead 1/2 GB it is insane. Not only does it eat up into my laptop hard drive space, but there is no way to customize your install. ie to pick and choose what parts of the update i need. sad and inefficient MS!!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.