MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

154748-office_2008.jpg

Microsoft today released Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.8 Update (332.8 MB), bringing fixes for Entourage crashing issues and security vulnerabilities.
This update improves stability. In addition, it includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code.
Specifically, the following Entourage crashing issue is addressed:
This update fixes an issue that occasionally causes Entourage to exit unexpectedly in the following situations:

- When you open email messages that have inline attachments.
- When you send an email message.
- When you click meeting invitations.
On the security front, the update appears to address vulnerabilities that were fixed for Office 2011 users last month, at which time Microsoft had promised that fixes for Office 2008 and 2004 were in testing and would be released at a later date. Microsoft still does not appear, however, to have released an update for Office 2004.

Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.1.8 (45.1 MB) and Microsoft Entourage 2008 for Mac, Web Services Edition (64.3 MB) have also been released to support the updated Office 2008 version.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.8

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Just downloaded it and updated. Seems ok, time will tell about the inline attachment crashes. I get them about once a week opening those types of emails.

Now if they would just add Ical sync'ing to Outlook 2011 I'd move up.....

Comment

tolui1190

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
Browsers and the Office 2008 12.2.8 installer

Why does the installer need me to quit Safari and Chrome?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-08 at 10.50.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-12-08 at 10.50.27 PM.png
    45 KB · Views: 143
Comment

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I dumped this suite a long time ago. When I found out Word was using over a gig of RAM, and Entourage over 2 gigs, I said au revoir to this bloatware.

The fact that the installer for Office 2008 requires Rosetta be installed should give you a clue as to how much optimization they had in mind when engineering that mess.

Comment

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
This update fixes an issue that occasionally causes Entourage to exit unexpectedly in the following situations:

- When you open email messages that have inline attachments.
- When you send an email message.
- When you click meeting invitations.

So, when you do the most normal, simplest of tasks that everybody, everywhere does every day.

Why does the installer need me to quit Safari and Chrome?

Because it updates the Office Live browser plug-in.

Notice anything odd? I got this message from the Office 2008 uninstaller while I was trying to upgrade it to Office 2011. There's my Applications folder for comparison.

Yeah, what I notice from the modification dates is you've been dicking around either re-installing or "restoring" old versions of Office 2008 after you've already upgraded to Office 2011. And you probably forgot to restore the receipts.

Comment

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Now is a good time to get 2011. It is leaps and bounds better. :D
Does it handle Macros and other complicated documents that come from the Windows versions of Office? I'm still on 2004. I skipped 2008 because of all the bad reviews. I'd like to go to 2011, but if compatibility with Windows Office isn't 100% (or VERY close to it), I won't bother.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, what I notice from the modification dates is you've been dicking around either re-installing or "restoring" old versions of Office 2008 after you've already upgraded to Office 2011. And you probably forgot to restore the receipts.
Nothing of the kind. In 2004 I installed Office for Mac 2004 (great version). In 2008 I installed Office for Mac 2008 (which had awful performance problems until a few patches were made). If I remember correctly, installing the 2008 version automatically removed/replaced the 2004 version. Yesterday I used Migration Assistant to move to a new Mac, then installed Office for Mac 2011, expecting it to replace the 2008 version, but it didn't. Since I didn't need the old version I ran the Office 2008 uninstaller and got this result. I didn't mess with any receipts or preference files; the Office installers are flaky enough when you run them right out of the box and do everything as directed!

Comment

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Does it handle Macros and other complicated documents that come from the Windows versions of Office? I'm still on 2004. I skipped 2008 because of all the bad reviews. I'd like to go to 2011, but if compatibility with Windows Office isn't 100% (or VERY close to it), I won't bother.

If compatibility with Windows applications is that critical for you, you shouldn't have bothered with the Mac OS X platform in the first place.

That being said, Office 2011 has makros again and is supposed to be more compatible than its predecessors.

Comment

kerrydaz

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
It keeps crashing on me, I don't recommend this update.

I had updated my laptop with the latest update, and now it crashes. I cannot open excel. Word is acting up, I cannot change the view. I gave up and had to use my husbands laptop with office on it, his was not updated. This is not making me happy. I have to be able to use office for school...dang it!
:mad:

Now I think that I am going to have to go back in the time capsule and get rid of the update just to be able to use it again, what a pain in the butt!
:mad:

Comment

RobertM99999

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Entourage Issues after 12.2.8 update

Unfortunately my organization is still on Exchange 2003 (I have Office 2011, but cannot use it until we update our Exchange Server). Just for clarity, I use Excel, Word, etc. for 2011, but cannot use Outlook 2011 with Exch2003

This update seems to have made my Entourage unstable. Symptoms are:
1. Will not sync inbox (can send mail, but it does not show up in the inbox)
2. I know mail is there since I can see it in webmail (interesting since Entourage uses the webmail address to access the Exchange Server)

I can make it sync if I "Clear the Cache" for the inbox ... but that means I spend the next 30 minutes watching the maibox re-syncing

My question is "has anyone else seen this behavior with the update?"

Computer: MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, OS 10.6.5

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.