Microsoft Releases Office 2011 14.0.1 Update

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Microsoft today released Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.0.1 Update, the first update to the latest Mac version of the company's flagship productivity suite. The update delivers fixes for "critical issues" that can cause freezing or crashing of Office applications.
    The update also includes a number of other security and performance enhancements, as detailed in an associated support document.

Notably, several security vulnerabilities addressed in the update also affect Office 2008 and 2004 for Mac, but no security update is yet available for those products.
    Microsoft notes that update for Office 2008 and 2004 will be available "when testing is complete, to ensure a high degree of quality for their release."

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Office 2011 14.0.1 Update

2. Corbin052198 macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

With a company like Microsoft, I am glad they do bug fixes :D

3. -Ryan-, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

-Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'm really hoping this solves a whole plethora of issues I'm having with Outlook marking emails as read. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it works, but the dock icon doesn't update, sometimes the dock icon updates but the window won't until it's restarted etc. Other than that, I've had zero issues with the rest of the suite.

If any MacBU employees are reading this, I've got a couple of requests; if possible at the bottom right where a sync takes place in Outlook, would it be possible to get a 'Last updated: xx:xx' there when an update is not taking place. This is particularly useful for times when I am using a 3G connection which I may lose etc. Also, I've asked before, but if possible can Junk Email functionality be disabled entirely, including hiding it from the navigation pain.

Thanks!

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And now I've found a bug in the auto updater. Check for updates, wait until it offers 14.0.1, then press Cancel. On my machine, Cancel doesn't work.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really Microsoft? I have to quit Safari to complete an Office update? Really?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I particularly enjoyed also having to manually close AutoUpdate. Did the "please close these apps" window flash for you?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I knew to close that myself. Window didn't flash.

8. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

Livermore, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    That gets me every time - I understand that Word and Excel need to be closed to update, but Safari/Firefox/Chrome and the Microsoft AutoUpdater itself? At least make the AutoUpdater self-closing with the install process.

Ah well - the fact that no updates have emerged for Office 2004 and 2008 also pretty much tell you that M$ has taken these two products to be shot out back behind the chemical shed. Not that Office 2008 doesn't deserve this treatment, but for PPC users we're at the end of the line.

9. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I've got a couple points to make in regards to this. First, this Office version has been floating about in a finished version for at least a couple of weeks, as the new MBAs in Apple Stores were running 14.0.1 from the day they were released. Second, as far as I'm aware, Office 2004 reached it's EOL last year, but Microsoft have continued to support it with software updates. Third, the article says that updates for both 2004 and 2008 will come, but they are being tested.

Seems fair enough to me.

10. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

Livermore, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Microsoft had to keep Office 2004 in the mix because it was the only contemporary version that ran Macros, which were foolishly omitted from Office 2008 (because the MacBU "didn't have the resources").

While I can't attest to what the installed versions are running in the stores, I can say that the MacBU, from my impression, operates both on an absolute shoestring compared to the rest of Microsoft, and doesn't have enough organizational clout to stand up to whatever edict gets handed down from above or even the Windows Office development team.

I'm just saying this is an early indicator that we're going to likely be seeing Microsoft drop any official support for Office 2004 and 2008 relatively quickly. Given how botched the release of Office 2008 was (M$ was shipping Office 2007 with the new document types before a proper or even functional document converter was released for Office 2004 users on Mac - essentially forcing everyone to buy Office 2008 that could open the new document types that were starting to show up via email), a quick trip to an early grave for Office 2004 and 2008 would be right in line with my expectations, observations of how the MacBU operates (or doesn't) and Microsoft's general attitude towards Mac users.

11. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

HyperX13

Typical Microsoft crap. Not out more than a few weeks and already a critical issue to fix

12. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Im using Office Mac 2011 - 14.0.0 (100825) and did an Update check and nothing available at all. Odd indeed.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Kind of like iPhoto '11?

14. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

HyperX13

I dont do critical spreadsheets and presentations on iphoto.

15. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Right, because that never happens to Apple or any other company. :rolleyes:

Put down the kool-aid.

16. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

HyperX13

not as much as MS!! I think their server stuff is rock solid, but their consumer stuff has been in crapper.

17. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

owned. nuff' said.

18. bully worm macrumors regular

Wow...all of sudden...

Safari feels much snappier after this update!

19. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I think I heard that pimp slap from my house.

20. Corbin052198 macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Perhaps the need for Safari shutting down?

21. devburke Guest

The iPhoto thing’s already been pointed out, so I’ll tackle this from another angle.

These issues don’t develop over time. If MS had released a fix months down the line, that wouldn’t mean that the issue took months to develop, it would mean it was there the whole time NOT being fixed my MS. MS releasing a fix quickly is to their credit, not against it.

The only way for any software not to have issues present that need fixing immediately at release is if they don’t have issues present at all.

22. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

While this may not be the appropriate place to post this, Word 2011 is great! Thus far it's been very stable and the full screen mode is exactly what I needed. I tried out Outlook too. It's excellent with exchange, but I had a lot of problems with other IMAP servers. Also, while I love the integrated calendar, I find iCal to be a little more flexible. Maybe I'm not doing it right...

23. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

You have to update within one of the Office apps, under Help->Check for Updates...

24. Kristenn macrumors 6502

Why are people complaining? It isn't like Apple doesn't find flaws or something that could be/should be better in their software AFTER its released and pushes out an update.

Just install it and move on >.>

Be happy they are bothering to fix it at all!

25. batchtaster, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

batchtaster macrumors 65816

Office has a browser plug-in for SharePoint/OfflceLive. Just like Office 2008.

The 2011 update hasn't even been out an entire day yet. And you apparently don't bother reading, but instead got right onto that conclusion-jumping like a champ. Bravo, good sir. Cleared that jump like a Simpson on a skateboard.