Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft Releases Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As expected, Microsoft has just released Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1. The update, which weighs in at 246.2 MB, addresses a number of bugs and security issues while also bringing several new features including a number of enhancements to Outlook.

Security updates with bug fixes also appear to be on the way for Office 2008 (12.2.9) and Office 2004 (11.6.3).

Availability of the software updates is currently sporadic, with download pages properly loading on an intermittent basis and the updates not yet showing in the AutoUpdate tool packaged with Office.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
A little off topic, but question for those who need Office software, and also run Parallels/Fusion: Do you prefer Office For Mac, or do you prefer to run "regular" Office in Parallels/Fusion? Thanks.

Comment

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
A little off topic, but question for those who need Office software, and also run Parallels/Fusion: Do you prefer Office For Mac, or do you prefer to run "regular" Office in Parallels/Fusion? Thanks.

Well, you got support for plugins as far as I know in Office 2007/2010 while I don't know if you have it in Office 2008/2011. One of the plugins for example is Ribbon Hero, an interactive tutorial for Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote.

Comment

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
When I check for updates in outlook it tells me 'no updates available' ... oh well, downloading it now directly from the webpage linked in the article.

don't care

page and keynote still rock

Why do you than bother reading the article and spend the extra time commenting on it :confused: :confused: :confused:

I prefer running it on the Mac - main reason: I don't run Parallels all the time - only when I have to develop windows stuff, otherwise it's always turned off (less used memory)

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Powerpoint no longer spews weird error messages instead of animated my complicated and lengthy presentation, so that's a plus.

Now let's see if Word still crashes when searching for text it can't find when the document has lots of tables...

Comment

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
It looks like using the symbol browser still crashes Microsoft Word. That is a shame. Everything else about Office 2011 has been great.

Comment

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh I want to buy this!!!! But alas I cannot afford it at present, well it depends on if I get a 3DS next weekend or not. But having used the demo of Outlook I love it, much better then Mail IMO.

If anyone knows of a cheaper price then around £160 in the UK let me know cause that's the best I've found.

Comment

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah

I have Office 2011 for Mac and Office 2010 for Windows which I run in VMWare Fusion (got both for $9.95 each through Microsoft's Home Use Program). I much prefer Excel 2010 in Windows but Word 2011 and PowerPoint 2011 for Mac are fine.

Last edited:
Comment

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Pages and Number are TRASH compared to Word and Excel(especially excel)

Keynote is actually pretty good!

I actually prefer Pages to Work. As well in Keynote vs Power Point.

Tho I agree... Numbers is useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Pages and Number are TRASH compared to Word and Excel(especially excel)

Keynote is actually pretty good!

The MS products have more functionality for sure ... question is if really everyone needs everything from that functionality. For most home users and even some business users iWorks does everything they need and is therefore a cheaper option that does the trick. Many business customers (and few home users) need stuff that iWork does not offer, but MS Office does.

Bottom line: depends on your use case -> bold statements like Product A is better then B are rarely true since it usually depends on many things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

arian19

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I don't understand why it won't let you update, from the Help Menu > check for updates, in the app itself... why do i have to go to Microsofts website to get the update?

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
So what's fixed?
To me, in Office 2011, nothing seemed broken.

From the release notes:

"Microsoft Office for Mac 2001 Service Pack 1, addresses several known issues with stability and usability on the MacOSX platform. Significant to this update is the new "Port to PC" function. With this function, MacOSX users will be continually reminded that they should abandon the Mac and move to a Windows 7 supported PC. Several new instabilities, with annoying alerts were added in order to enhance this functionality. "

And then it goes on and on about some other silly bug fixes. :p

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.