Microsoft reportedly interested in buying Android custom ROM developer Cyanogen Inc

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, Aug 29, 2014.

1. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Don't know what to think of this! Nokia phones with Cyanogenmod on them?

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-reportedly-interested-buying-android-custom-rom-developer-cyanogen-inc

2. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I don't believe this for one second. Why?

Cyanogen is a forked version of Android and in order to use Google Apps, it has to pay the licensing fee. There is a reason GAPPS was never included in any Cyanogenmod ROM; because Google issued a cease and desist back in 2011.

Microsoft already has a forked version of Android (as does Amazon) and neither forked version has access to the core Google Apps.

What advantage does Cyanogen give Microsoft or Amazon over what they have now? Answer = not much. The only reason I can see for Microsoft or Amazon to buy Cyanogen is to hire the staff. The ROM would simply be killed off.

4. kevinof macrumors 6502a

I agree with all your points (except the first one). It doesn't make sense for MS to buy Cyanogen for the rom. I just don't see the synergy.

On the gapps issue - MS already receives large royalty payments from every Android device. They could simply do a loyalty offset and get gapps on their handsets.

Anyway moot point. Don't see this happening and don't see why it would.

5. Shuri macrumors 6502

I'm also convinced this is nothing about the Android Fork. Microsoft has never shown much of an interest in using another OS kernel than their own. I don't think their effort on android is going to get any bigger than what it is now.

So I don't see why they should want to buy Cyanogen, do they have any patents or so? Couldn't Microsoft just hire the important staff away from the Inc?

6. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm very skeptical of this. Windows Phone is a great OS and has been increasing in marketshare (albeit slowly). If they keep hard at updating WP8, there is a chance they can get a solid slice of the market.

8. iBanker macrumors regular

MS collects royalties from hardware vendors, Gapps is provided by Google and not the hardware vendors.

9. Dreday24 macrumors regular

a nokia phone with cyanogen mod would be the sex.

10. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

My thoughts exactly.

11. three macrumors 6502a

three

This better not happen. If it does, I hope that Microsoft doesn't have them stop developing ROMs for the many many many supported devices.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, that is news. I can see samsung or others inking a partnership, but I'm not really understanding the logic with MS possibly acquiring the company. What would be the value for MS no such a deal?

13. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

There you go.

14. jamezr thread starter macrumors G4

jamezr

Agreed......
    If they released Nokia phones with WP8 and Cyanogenmod side by side. They run the risk of killing their own OS. They might just buy CM then use the existing staff to make changes to WP8. Who knows.....