MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft recently announced an incoming update for its two-factor authenticator apps on iOS and Android, bringing a more robust suite of password authenticator abilities, along with a redesigned user interface, to each app (via The Verge). Set to launch on August 15, the update combines "the best parts" of the company's previous authenticator apps into one service, letting users save data for both a Microsoft account (targeted at consumers) and an Azure AD account (targeted at enterprise users).

The update is planned to overhaul Microsoft's existing, two-step verification iOS app, Azure Authenticator, while the Microsoft account app on Android will prompt users with a starting message to download the new app in the Android store. For iOS users, the company promised that any accounts saved in Azure Authenticator will be "automatically upgraded" into the new version of the app. Before the new update, the iOS app solely supported Azure AD accounts.

microsoft-authenticator-app.jpg

Also coming to Microsoft Authenticator is a new, "incredibly simple" user experience that the company promises maintains "the highest level of security" for all of the accounts linked to the app. There's also a streamlined multi-factor authentication in the app's one-click notifications, where users just click an "approve" button in the notification to finish an account's login. In addition, fingerprint approval will be coming to the Microsoft Authenticator app for anyone who wants to bypass needing to type in a passcode.
On August 15th, we will start releasing the new "Microsoft Authenticator" apps in all mobile app stores. This new app combines the best parts of our previous authenticator apps into a new app which works with both Microsoft accounts and Azure AD accounts.

We're just getting started on this new app! Now that we've finished consolidating into a single code base, we're expecting to deliver new improvements at a very rapid pace.
In that same vein, Microsoft is making MFA challenges even easier to approve, thanks to Apple Watch support in the new update. The same "approve" button notification will appear on Apple's wearable, letting users bypass needing to pick up their iPhone at all to finish up the authentication process. The company said that Samsung Gear devices will also be supported for those on Android.

Users on iOS can get ready for the incoming update by downloading Azure Authenticator for free from the iOS App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft Reveals New Authenticator App With Touch ID and Apple Watch Support

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Is there any authenticator app supporting multiple devices? I use Google Authenticator with 10-15 tokens and just love to re-configure every single one of them piece by piece every time I buy a new phone.

Comment

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
Is there any authenticator app supporting multiple devices? I use Google Authenticator with 10-15 tokens and just love to re-configure every single one of them piece by piece every time I buy a new phone.

Copy the QR code during initial setup and save them on an external drive. That is what I do.

edit: Using 1Password for this now.

Last edited:
Comment

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I think that Authy is good for this, it has sync features and everything. I use 1Password for this too but that is more than just an authenticator obviously.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
For me who uses single password for everything, this app is not that useful. But I hope Microsoft don't enforce two step verification by default.
BTW, azure account login does not work on iOS 10 beta 3. I will have a hard time using my enterprise account for a while.

Comment

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Whaaaaat. I'm using 1Password for ages and didn't know it could do it!?!?!?

Comment

whizstachio

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2016
If you're in the Apple eco system, you should take a look at 2stp app for iOS and 2stp companion app for OS X. It also has iCloud support so you never have to rescan or worry about backing up codes anymore. I've used google authenticater, authy, DUO etc. but 2STP app beats them all IMO. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/2stp-authenticator/id954311670?mt=8

Reactions: Kajje
Comment

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
OTP Auth. Hands-down the best OTP app for iOS, IMO. Allows exporting and backing up in various ways, or syncing across devices via iCloud (all end-to-end encrypted). Differently from Authy, you don't have to store your OTP seeds in any cloud if you don't want to.

Reactions: centauratlas
Comment

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I use Authy its awesome.

What happened to good old fashion SMS?

SMS is horrible when it comes to security because operators tends to be really stupid when it comes to transferring numbers and sending out new sim cards.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I've been curious about this. I'm on a verge of buying a new iPhone; will be my second since employing two-factor authentication. Google Authenticator is my primary app, but I do use Authy for a couple of services. I may switch to it entirely before switching phones.

I didn't even realize that Microsoft had its own Authenticator apps, although I'm not surprised. Glad to see them streamlining things for users, although I'll never be one. :p

Comment

Da-Aaron

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Any app will. You can scan the qr code as many times as you want to configure again.

Comment

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Any app will. You can scan the qr code as many times as you want to configure again.
I do have to admit that I didn't knew that...

But my old phone is gone, my future phone is not released yet and my ipad is at home. Need something in the cloud.

Also will bring my old iphone back to life, and get a copy of my tokens to it. Could become handy if one day my whole backpack suddenly change ownership.

Last edited:
Comment

Da-Aaron

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I do have to admit that I didn't knew that...

But my old phone is gone, my future phone is not released yet and my ipad is at home. Need something in the cloud.

Also will bring my old iphone back to life, and get a copy of my tokens to it. Could become handy if one day my whole backpack suddenly change ownership.

So right now you have no device to act as a second factor. That's an entirely different problem. It really defeats the entire purpose of having 2FA if you have the second factor on the device you're logging in from, and on every device you own.

Comment

stevefeinstein

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
What happened to good old fashion SMS?

It's very insecure and no longer a good idea.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nist-deprecates-sms-two-factor-authentication,32315.html
[doublepost=1469651356][/doublepost]

There's one called "Lockdown" that I've been using for a couple of weeks. It uses touched and syncs across all your devices over iCloud. It also has a mac client which is nice. It does everything I need, but I've found a few minor issues with the app and reported them to the developer who's been completely unresponsive. Since it does what I need I'll keep using it until something better comes along. It's also not free, but for something used as often as it it, it's worth a few bucks.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.