Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

100028-windows_phone_start.jpg

Windows Phone 7 Start screen
As predicted, Microsoft today unveiled Windows Phone 7, the next-generation smartphone operating system serving as the successor to and rebranding of the company's Windows Mobile software. One of the software's key features is the use of integrated "hubs", offering content views based on content rather than specific applications. Hubs will include People, Pictures, Games, Music+Video, Marketplace, and Office.

094203-windows_phone_people_hub.jpg

Windows Phone 7 "People" hub
In addition, "live tiles" on the system's Start screen will offer real-time information updates, and a dedicated hardware button will provide one-click access to Bing search tools.
With Windows Phone 7 Series, Microsoft takes a fundamentally different approach to phone software. Smart design begins with a new, holistic design system that informs every aspect of the phone, from its visually appealing layout and motion to its function and hardware integration. On the Start screen, dynamically updated “live tiles” show users real-time content directly, breaking the mold of static icons that serve as an intermediate step on the way to an application. Create a tile of a friend, and the user gains a readable, up-to-date view of a friend’s latest pictures and posts, just by glancing at Start.
A number of handset manufacturers and carriers have committed to the Windows Phone 7 Series platform, and the first handsets based on the operating system are scheduled to become available in "holiday 2010".

095832-samsung_wave.jpg

Samsung Wave
Samsung yesterday also Samsung Wave, the first handset to be based on the company's own bada platform. The Wave offers an 800x480 active-matrix OLED screen, 5-megapixel camera, Samsung's revised TouchWiz 3.0 user interface, and 2 GB of internal storage with a microSD slot allowing for up to an additional 32 GB.
The Samsung Wave offers a Super AMOLED 3.3” display that makes the screen truly come alive, a Social Hub to bring you closer to your contacts and connections, and TouchWiz 3.0 for an intuitive and hugely customizable user interface. The Wave’s high-speed CPU ensures swift, smooth application experiences and multi-tasking, making the device an always-on mobile multimedia companion. The Samsung Wave has been built to offer users an unrivalled level of performance, customization and choice in how they connect with their world. The stunning full touch mobile will be available globally from April 2010.

Article Link: Microsoft, Samsung Take on Apple With New Smartphone Announcements

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Looks fantastic.

Although I wish people would stop using the "competition is good" line. A bit simplistic, but fair enough, it just seems to be used a thousand times every day on this forum. zzzzzz

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
The first picture just makes my eyes bleed. That first image is so cluttered and ugly it should be killed with fire. The bottom image is, a rip off of the iPhone, but at least it looks right.

Overall, it may be an OK phone, now what run on it besides the standard software? Is there an app for that?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Pretty slick and clean. Tight social media integration is SUPER smart...something Apple has never really figured out.

Here's to hoping for a more streamlined iPhone OS 4 (with multitasking!).

salvatorereda

macrumors member
May 25, 2007
Hum

To copy the iPhone doesn't take much creativity. To come up with something new is hard to do. From these products it looks like there just about a year behind Apple

jbouklas

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2002
NY
Whoa.

I just saw the interface video and read the article at gizmodo.com - I have to say that this phone looks awesome. I've owned two WinMo phones back in the day, and they were terrible. Beyond terrible. And then I bought the first iPhone, the iPhone 3G, and now I own the 3GS. The iPhone blows those phones out of the water, and is still by far more polished than the latest Android phones I've played with.

But this is different. WinMo 7 looks polished and makes the iPhone UI look dated (though it was looking dated even before I saw the first screen of 7). I wouldn't have ever considered buying a WinMo phone after having used an iPhone, but I must say, I'm very impressed.

If Apple doesn't up there game with 4.0, they have a serious problem on their hands. Especially with the iPad. I'm not knocking the fact that it runs iPhoneOS, but it looks like it came out in 2007, with those tiny app icons on a huge background. If MS can reinvent themselves and makes phones that truly compete with the iPhone in every aspect, and blow it away in others, then what can they do with tablet computing? Like I said, whoa...

interestedabit

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
What competition? That's what Apple started 3 years ago. If that Samsug is real it's a total iPhone OS rip-off.

I agree completely. If it is priced at half the price of the iphone (can only buy it over here, no sub) then it is competition. Samsung have always made cheaper stuff. Quality is not all there.

Povilas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
Lithuania
Pretty slick and clean. Tight social media integration is SUPER smart...something Apple has never really figured out.

Here's to hoping for a more streamlined iPhone OS 4 (with multitasking!).

It looks streamlined to you? OS which is not even out yet on a prototype device... Good lord...

Legolover64

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
Wow, people talk about "cluttered screens" here? Have you looked at iPhone OS? 20 icons, super multicolored, staring you in the face. How is that less cluttered than this?

And how is this ugly? This is pretty simple as far as phone UI goes, I would say as simple as it gets, and still, people see "Microsoft" and go to criticize it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Apple is not your friend. They're not your buddy, they don't feel better or worse if you mindlessly follow them to the ends of the earth and call everything else trash. Is the iPhone the best smartphone out there? I think so. Does Windows Phone 7 Series stand a chance? Definitely. This looks new, exciting and very visionary. Let's keep from being rabid about it just because it bares the Microsoft name.

Also, lol at the people who keep saying Microsoft stole from Apple. Read up. Apple took them to court. Check out who won that argument.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Looks fantastic.

Although I wish people would stop using the "competition is good" line. A bit simplistic, but fair enough, it just seems to be used a thousand times every day on this forum. zzzzzz

Yeah, you are probably right. Competition is not good. Let's just have one company run everything whether it be Apple or M$ or whatever. No drive for innovation whatsoever.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
So the waiting game is on...

...WinMo 7 looks really good.

And now let's see, what HTC will do with it. iPhone OS 4 better rocks the party, otherwise it will be a WinMo 7 device for me.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Windows Phone 7 looks like a winner, I watched some of the demos. It is a new unique interface that does in fact makes the iPhone and Android look dated. Microsoft is really coming out swinging here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.