Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard + Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by navaira, Aug 7, 2015.

1. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Hello,

is anybody here using the Sculpt keyboard?
    [​IMG]
    I love the keyboard and how it feels, it's a great update for my MS Natural Ergonomic 4000, but... it uses a wireless USB receiver. And that is a major PITA. I've tried all USB slots I have by now, and with all of them it works for a while, and then it suddenly starts missing keystrokes.

I installed the IntelliType driver but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I've read that some people suggest a USB extension cable so that the receiver can be as close as possible to the keyboard, but that kinda defeats the whole point of having a wireless keyboard. Why MS didn't decide to use Bluetooth is beyond me.

Anyway -- does anybody have experience with this keyboard? Did you have receiver problems? The USB receiver operates at 2.4 GHz -- can that be the source of the problem? (I used to have Magic Mouse problems until I switched my wi-fi to 5 GHz, problems disappeared) Is there some setting somewhere that can help? I really like the keyboard, but the intermittent connection problems are baaaad. (I bought the mouse-less model, as I like my Magic Mouse and don't want a replacement.)

Thanks for any response!

2. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

I know this is an old thread - but took the plunge and ordered one. Should arrive tomorrow. Really hoping this works and doesn't give too many issues on Sierra.

3. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

I have no issues with it at all other than how bad the USB reception is. Best keyboard I ever used, as far as I am concerned Microsoft is a great manufacturer of keyboards, they should stick with that business ;)

4. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Appreciate the reply. The USB reception was the thing I was most worried about - along with some claiming issues when MacOS updates came through (some of the function keys not working etc.).

1.) How bad is the USB connection issues? My current Kanex Multisync (BT connection) is driving me up the wall, with it frequently dropping, and my needing to repair again - is it as bad as that?

2.) Did you need to do anything funny i.t.o. remapping keys?

5. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Arrived a few moments back. So far, so good. Could remap ALT/CMD using System Preferences, and used BTT for the function keys... Connectivity A-OK, straight out of the box.

I type quickly, but not as a touch-typist. Biggest adjustment seems to be my having to use my right hand to hit "h", whereas it was always the pointer of my left hand that hit it before... Enter key is a bit small, and I automatically hit the delete key, rather than backspace, which is just to the left of it... But sure it won't take too long to swing around...

6. navaira thread starter macrumors 68040

navaira

I use Karabiner to remap the keys – I use it on the Macbook the same way, and when I connect the Macbook to the monitor (with USB hub) I have to switch between Karabiner settings. But Sculpt fixed my RSI completely (and before it Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 did).