microsoft security essentials in bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by enzojauregui, Mar 17, 2010.

1. enzojauregui macrumors member

hi, i'm just wondering if there is a way to limit mse to scanning only the windows partition and not include the mac partition. is there any downsides or side effects if it does search the mac partition? might it mess up anything on the mac or anthing? thanks!

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Unless you install tools to allow it to read the Mac Partition, it can't access the mac partition, thus it won't scan it.

3. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

i'm quite sure i didn't install any tools on this. I just installed the drivers that were included in installation dvd. Problem is it still does scan it. In fact, i can access search and open files in my mac partition since it appears as a separate partition when opening 'my computer'. Its taking forever for a full system scan on my computer. I've waited for more than 3 hours already and it still hasnt finished scanning it, I just canceled it in the end.

Might there be anything wrong with my computer?

4. nigameash macrumors 6502

Are you using Snow Leopard as the operating system on the mac? Then you prolly installed the drivers which allow you to read files off your mac, thus the security software scans it for problems too.

But dont worry, since you didnt install any additional tools, it cant write to the mac partition, thus wont/cant change anything so nothing to worry about ;)

You can de-select the mac partition while scanning to make it faster ;)

Oh and theres nothing wrong wit your computer from what info you've provided ;)

5. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

yeah, that's probably it, am using snow leopard haha, thanks, don't have to be worried anymore :D