Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Just thought some of you running Windows on your Mac should know Microsoft is now offering their anti-virus solution for free. I've been beta testing it for awhile, and I have to say it's really light weight and unobtrusive (no stupid pop-ups, etc).

Try it out if you need anti-virus. I believe it's for XP (32-bit) and Vista/7 (32 and 64-bit).

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/

Why didn't they do this years ago instead of fostering a market of third-party market anti-virus solutions?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
+1.

I've also been using the beta for a while and it's worked fantastically. It disables Windows Defender but runs just like it (unobtrusive, in the background, only nags you when something's found). I've installed it on several friend's comps who all do a lot of gaming and none of them have even noticed it was there (they do know it's installed, they just forget because it's so low impact). It updates (quite often I might add) around once a day through Windows Update.

Seriously, it's that good. I ditched Avira (and previously Avast) for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.