Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today release a new update for its Office 2016 for Mac apps, introducing small performance improvements, bug fixes, and 64-bit support across the Office lineup.

Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and OneNote have all adopted the 64-bit runtime environment to enable better performance and "new innovative features." 64-bit support has previously been available to Microsoft's "Office Insider" beta testers but is rolling out to all users today.

officeformac-800x468.jpg

Microsoft Office users who do not use add-ins will be unaffected by the change, while those who do will need to update their add-ins to 64-bit versions as add-in developers release the necessary updates. All add-in developers have had several months to make the updates thanks to the beta testing period, so the transition should be seamless for most end users.

Apple's Mac operating system has supported 64-bit applications for many years, but prior to 2016, Microsoft continued to offer 32-bit Office for Mac apps.

Microsoft Office for Mac is available through an Office 365 subscription or as a standalone purchase from the Microsoft website. Office 365 costs a minimum of $69.99 per year while the standalone version of Office 2016 for Mac is priced at $149.99.

Article Link: Microsoft Security Update Brings 64-Bit Support to All Mac Office Apps

Reactions: JuBe

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
All add-in developers have had several months to make the updates thanks to the beta testing period, so the transition should be seamless for most end users.

Not Mendeley, it's been broken for several updates. EndNote updated today.

Reactions: Mainyehc

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
Uh, no, 64-bit GUI applications have been supported since Leopard in 2007 (and CLI applications even earlier, since Tiger in 2005).

I was just about to post this, myself! Yes, this is an error.

GUI programs could be 64-bit starting with Leopard (10.5), command-line programs in Tiger (10.4), and there was even rudimentary 64-bit support at the kernel level starting in Panther (10.3).

It took a while to make the full trip, but OS X boarded the 64-bit train quite a long time ago.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This will be a nice update for the very serious, heavy power users of Office. For the most basic things I do, I doubt I'd notice the difference.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Every update breaks something fundamental. Microsofts quality control on their Mac office product is shocking and makes me anxious about any update.

The Office team at Microsoft is actually very receptive of problems and works hard to correct them. The Office 2016 has come a very long way over the past year. They're much better than other large companies such as Adobe, which is also slowly making steps to fix some of its problems.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Every update breaks something fundamental. Microsofts quality control on their Mac office product is shocking and makes me anxious about any update.
Forget Microsoft. I'd settle for ANY software update from ANY company not breaking something else.
Crap! Had to stop myself from going all "revisionist history" by claiming it didn't used to be this way. I know that's not true. We just have way more access to information these days.

/put's on rose tinted glasses:cool:
/sees perfectly executed software and software updates:oops:

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
The 64 bit Office 2016 apps load noticeably faster on my computers.
They do? That's actually amazing to hear. I was kinda surprised when I bought my first Mac last February, installed Office and saw how much time it takes to load those programs. It's not super slow, but compared to my previous Windows notebook it did make a difference.

Looks like I'll be updating right now!

Thank the maker, if this is true across the board!

Office opens painfully slow and is by far the slowest opening set of apps I have.
I can't disagree with you. They truly are slow in terms of opening speeds.

Reactions: samden

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
shocking? office for me since 2007 has always worked better than the apple apps that do the same thing.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
So finally I can see how fast it can run on my Mac. The startup speed and running speed is notoriously slow on my low end MacBook Air.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Do the updated apps have an "Open in 32-bit mode" option in Get Info and does that restore 32-bit add-in compatibility? Or is the advice to completely avoid the update and forgo the security fixes if we need 32-bit add-in support?

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
Does it finally include Skype for Business or are we stuck with that crusty old Lync client?

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Do the updated apps have an "Open in 32-bit mode" option in Get Info and does that restore 32-bit add-in compatibility? Or is the advice to completely avoid the update and forgo the security fixes if we need 32-bit add-in support?

There is a 32 bit version of 15.25 that must be manually installed. This will be the last version of 32 bit Office.
See http://macadmins.software/docs/OfficeMac-64.pdf

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Really? I'd hardly call the Office team "receptive", at least on the Mac side of things!
Our experience, having been early adopters of Office 2016 in our office, is that a number of features have actually been stripped from the OS X version of the apps with no indication of any interest in Microsoft trying to put them back.

Take. for example, the ability to add headers and footers to Excel spreadsheets. That's been missing on the Mac for over a year now, and was one of the most requested things to fix on Microsoft's Office forum -- yet MS's only reply on the matter was a promise it was "under consideration", last July!

Also, a number of the new features that do get released come with no documentation, leaving it up to us to test them via trial and error. EG. Outlook 2016 added "email archiving" in one of the point releases, yet it wasn't even mentioned that the feature is non-functional unless the Exchange mail server you're connected to is also running the 2016 version. (The hosting service we use still runs on Exchange 2010 at this time, making this an issue.)

The Office team at Microsoft is actually very receptive of problems and works hard to correct them. The Office 2016 has come a very long way over the past year. They're much better than other large companies such as Adobe, which is also slowly making steps to fix some of its problems.

Reactions: CreatorCode

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There are many members of the Mac Office team in a Slack channel dedicated to Mac Admins. They are always active and assisting with troubleshooting and bugs. I do recall that email archiving feature of Outlook 2016's being a requested feature that was discussed by the members of that Slack channel and then added with some reviewing of how it works by none other than Paul Bowden, head of the Office for Mac team. Before painting over the entire team as not being receptive, try to get in contact with them and see just how very nice and assisting they really are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.