Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Too bad it doesn't have cellular connectivity yet.
Lets see how many people return their purchase.

Please keep us posted of your experiences with it once you got it. I'm sure there are going to be multiple reviews online once it delivers.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Only problem is the hideous cradle and the fact that it doesn't have that nifty cover that the Surface does. I'm honestly waiting for the Pro but I'm going to check out the RT at my local Microsoft Store and if I like it I may buy one of those too.

The plan was for MS to release the RT when Win 8 was released then wait ~ 3-5 months before releasing the Pro version to give the OEMs a chance to capture some market share. The Acer W700 is not a bad design for how I would most often use it (tablet and docked as a PC replacement).

The issue I see with most of the known Win 8 tablet designs, that include an attached keyboard, is what do you do with the keyboard when you just want to use the touch screen keyboard?

Does the MS RT keyboard fold back on itself or does it have to be removed when you want to use the touch-screen keyboard?

Ideally I would like a win 8 tablet where the keyboard folds between the screen and the back of the device. That way I only have one piece to carry (I can see me leaving the RT keyboard behind) and when I am using the touch screen keyboard, my fingers aren't pressing on keys on the back side of the tablet.

The Lenova IdeaPad Yoga has a one piece design, but when you want to use the tablet touch-screen keyboard, the keyboard folds back and your fingers are gripping the keys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jnrRRAcZc&feature=related

The Intel Cove Point is the only device so far that fits my idea of a perfect Win 8 tablet/laptop design. The keyboard folds under the screen.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles...ls-impressive-pricey-cove-point-ultrabook.htm

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Does the MS RT keyboard fold back on itself or does it have to be removed when you want to use the touch-screen keyboard?

I believe Microsoft said you can fold back the keyboard cover, and the device senses it is folded back and won't accept keyboard input when it is in that position.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I believe Microsoft said you can fold back the keyboard cover, and the device senses it is folded back and won't accept keyboard input when it is in that position.

So you will be gripping onto the sides of the keyboard when it's folded back over the tablet case. I wonder how the keyboard will hold up over time?

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Microsoft should have not had the advertisement out so early. They should have released it 1 week before shipping.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
Not surprised, this thing looks to be a winner. Windows 8 tablets will dominate just like Windows PC dominate the market. Thank you Microsoft for bringing out an OS that a majority of the world prefers. And thank you for making that OS geared with touch gestures. I cannot wait to get my Windows 8 Pro tablet and my new 27 inch touchscreen monitor for my desktop running Windows 8 Pro. THE REAL GAME CHANGER!!!

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
So you will be gripping onto the sides of the keyboard when it's folded back over the tablet case. I wonder how the keyboard will hold up over time?

The Touch keyboard would be perfectly fine. Not sure of Type but Im sure it would be fine too

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
When Apple sells out I know many people who ordered...
Know anyone who ordered a Surface?

No but i also dont usually have discussions about tablets with people. Its usually their phones since they have those on them. I dont know many people that talk about their iPads either. Usually just in here do people mention their Tablets. Thats my experience anyways.

I might get one of those with the keyboard but i never preorder those things. Ill get one when im ready and walk in a store and get it.

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Not surprised, this thing looks to be a winner. Windows 8 tablets will dominate just like Windows PC dominate the market. Thank you Microsoft for bringing out an OS that a majority of the world prefers. And thank you for making that OS geared with touch gestures. I cannot wait to get my Windows 8 Pro tablet and my new 27 inch touchscreen monitor for my desktop running Windows 8 Pro. THE REAL GAME CHANGER!!!

Highly doubt it.

1. $499 Surface does not have a hi-res (retina) display.
2. App store is not as big as the iOS store.
3. Does not have the Apple momentum.

Microsoft is just not a design friendly company. I wish the surface success, because the more competition the better. However, design is not infused in Microsoft's DNA.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Highly doubt it.

1. $499 Surface does not have a hi-res (retina) display.
2. App store is not as big as the iOS store.
3. Does not have the Apple momentum.

Microsoft is just not a design friendly company. I wish the surface success, because the more competition the better. However, design is not infused in Microsoft's DNA.

LOL, who cares id it doesnt have a retina display! I dont have that on any of my devices and im doing fine. As for the App store, it will grow just like Androids did and is nearly just as big as Itunes app store now. My Wife has a Windows phone and it has the basics that we use all the time that Android and iTunes has.

As i said earlier, ill most likely be getting one of those at some point down the road. I havent bought a tablet yet and was thinking about maybe a Nexus 7 but i am really interested in these.

We'll see, but a iPad is last on the list.

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
Don't discount retina, man. It's pretty damn nice, and is what's suckering me in towards Apple's hardware. It's why I bought the iPhone 4, the iPad 3, and why I'll likely be getting an rMBP sooner or later.

Though "design not being infused in MS' DNA" is pure and utter corn.
Utter baloney, lol.

Anyways, I get that Retina display; its great that it has such high DPI. But DPI isnt everything obviously (Im not saying iPad 3's display is bad in any way, all Apple screens have been great lately).
But bloggers and journalists checked out the Surface RT's 768 display and had awesome things to say about it and they even had direct comparisons to the iPad 3 going on for them. At 10.1 inches, 1366x768 is still okay for a tablet. Honestly, how high does it need to be? There's way more to a good display than pixels as Ive learned by replacing my 900 display with a cheaper version when the orig broke.

I hate 768 displays for 13-15 inch laptops btw, but at 10.1 inches its pretty insignificant if you get the rest of the display aspects nailed.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Don't discount retina, man. It's pretty damn nice, and is what's suckering me in towards Apple's hardware. It's why I bought the iPhone 4, the iPad 3, and why I'll likely be getting an rMBP sooner or later.

Yeah it is nice but it isnt worth the extra $400 Apple charges to have it on their laptops when the screens on the other devices are nice too. The screen on the new Windows tablets look pretty good to me.

If it suckered you in, well great. I dont need it.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
LOL, who cares id it doesnt have a retina display! I dont have that on any of my devices and im doing fine. As for the App store, it will grow just like Androids did and is nearly just as big as Itunes app store now. My Wife has a Windows phone and it has the basics that we use all the time that Android and iTunes has.

As i said earlier, ill most likely be getting one of those at some point down the road. I havent bought a tablet yet and was thinking about maybe a Nexus 7 but i am really interested in these.

We'll see, but a iPad is last on the list.

That's not the point, the iPad 16GB Retina costs $499 and the iPad 2 (similar screen of Surface RT) costs $399 for the 16GB version.

What makes you think people are willing to NOT get what's popular? Remember, the average citizen gets what is popular. Microsoft is late to the game, but I do want them to succeed so the marketplace gets a bit more vibrant.

I think MS has a dud on their hands.

Also the Android store is HORRIBLE.

----------

Prove it.

There was a Reddit AMA from the people who worked on the Surface, and the lead designer noted that they did not infuse any design ideologies when they were making the product.

That is a sign of a product designer who doesn't have good taste.

Apple doesn't ignore the fact that their hardware/software is heavily influenced by the Swiss International style and ideologies.

Even the new Windows logo (designed by Pentagram/Paula Scher) is hideous. Steve Jobs would never allow such an identity to go through.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The iPad3 display will be superior, but the Surface 720P+ class display should be more than adequate

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Does it matter to you at all that the majority of apps won't be compatible between W8 RT and your W8 desktop installation? :confused:

I mean, I have a mac, iphone, and iPad but even I see improvements needed keeping everything synced together. I just don't see how thats possible right now on W8. I still think after playing around with W8 for a few weeks that its a nice OS, but not intuitive at all when coming right in from the windows world. I wonder how many devs will still be making apps meant to run exclusively in desktop (not the new UI) mode.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm not surprised there seems to be a lot of positive energy and desire with the tablet. I think its a little over priced for the RT version but the folks over at Redmond must be happy with these results.

I think it is a mild surprise. It will be interesting to read some full reviews of them.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I wonder how many devs will still be making apps meant to run exclusively in desktop (not the new UI) mode.

I am hoping quite a few will still do this

I dont mind the new interface as an app launcher, but I dont like the look of the new style apps

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Dear Microsoft,

What were you thinking including email on the Surface? That will hurt phone sales.

Signed,

Your friends at RIM

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I'm kind of surprised that people are preordering the Surface RT when there is very little that is known about the OS, what programs it will ship with, and what apps will be available at launch date, what developers are working on content for the Surface, and if the ecosystem will be comparable to Android or iOS.

I got burned on the Zune HD. Hopefully history wont repeat itself, and the Surface wont flop because it lacks content.

XX55XX

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
I am hoping quite a few will still do this

I dont mind the new interface as an app launcher, but I dont like the look of the new style apps

The problem is: How many developers still develop actual desktop applications, outside the people who develop ERP systems, Photoshop, Quicken, and movie editors?

Personally, I don't use very many desktop applications outside of Lightroom, Google Chrome, a Bittorrent client, and a couple of Windows utilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.