Tablets Microsoft Surface (Win RT device) poll

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by tkjazzer, Nov 25, 2012.

?

will/did you buy Microsoft Surface RT (or winRT device)?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2013.
  1. Yes bought a RT AND I am microsoft fanboy

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Yes bought a RT AND I use apple products

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Yes bought a RT but don't fit in two categories above

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Will buy a RT AND I am microsoft fanboy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Will buy a RT AND I use apple products

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. Will buy a RT but don't fit in 2 categories above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No, i only use apple products for computers, mobile, etc

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  8. No, but I use non apple products too

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  9. No, waiting for Surface pro or full win 8 device?

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

2. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

I have been using an iPad 2 and an iPad retina. And I am probably going to buy an iPad mini as I love the form factor. I bought the Surface day 1, because it's for me a game changer.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I took a look at Surface. I think in general, Surface and other hybrids/convertibles are not quite there yet. They feel clumsy as a tablet, and if I'm only going to use them as a laptop, well, the Air is the best laptop out there. So I'm giving Win8 devices a pass. Maybe I'll revisit the hybrids when Win9 rolls around.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm going to get an RT tablet, one day... eventually. Once I find a tablet form factor I like. If Barnes and Noble would release a WinRT version of the Nook, I'd be all over it.

5. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

A nook app was added to usa surface / rt app store. I haven't tried the app yet. I don't have any purchased books through b+n. Why is their e-book store / apps better than kindle?

PS many times new apps need many features added. E.i. kindle app ... but I predict it will improve with time

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I mean the hardware itself, although the nook app is nice, I like the 7" form factor and thinness of the Nook. It doesn't hurt that they have the world's lightest fully featured 7" tablet, or some such thing like that.

7. MuffCabbage macrumors regular

We just got the Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500T (Clovertrail chip) that runs full Windows 8 and has a keyboard dock and Digitizer Pen. The RT version wouldn't cut it since desktop apps need to be run on it.

Its nifty, but they need to refine it on their next version. Samsung plastic everywhere and has frozen up a few times, so it might be getting returned for another if it keeps up.

That said the battery life is insane and performance decent comparably, like better than the iPad at 10+ hours seemingly. The screen is awesome despite being 1366x768.

Finally the 16x9 ratio is not ideal for a tablet. Luckily they have the split keyboard and you also have the keyboard dock.

The dockable keyboard for a tablet idea actually works really nicely. If they can refine that then this may be the form factor of the future.

8. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Voted that I'm waiting for the surface pro, although I'm using the samsung ativ which is a non RT windows tablet, it has the full version of windows on it. Windows RT really really pisses me off, Microsoft blew it even releasing this piece of crap and it's going to hurt them IMO.

9. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Got a Surface the day it launched. Could not be more happier. Will purchase the Surface Pro when it releases as long as the price isn't 1200+

10. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I saw this tablet pc today and played a while with it. I installed a couple of Windows apps and they run great. The bad part is the screen. I'm waiting for the pro version, which has full HD, to decide between that and the nexus 10.

It is a really cool concept. My doubts are about Windows 8 updates. Does the ativ pc receive updates from Microsoft or from Samsung?

And what will happen next year? Will a new Windows 9 be released? If not next year, will the ativ pc be able to upgrade to the next Windows just like a normal laptop?

11. MuffCabbage macrumors regular

Answered in bold