MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today launched the Microsoft Surface Membership, an upgrade plan for Surface devices that allows business customers to "get the latest Surface devices, accessories, support and training." The new plan was first spotted by Thurrott.com (via Engadget). The plan is similar to Apple's iPhone Upgrade Plan.

microsoftsurface-1.png

The Surface Membership is available for three Surface devices with payment plans that can be spread over 18, 24 or 30 months. The Surface 3 is $32.99 per month for 30 months, $37.99 per month for 24 months, and $48.99 per month over 18 months. The Surface Pro 4 is $51.99 per month for 30 months, $58.99 per month for 24 months, and $70.99 per month for 18 months. The Surface Book is $79.99 per month for 30 months, $89.99 per month for 24 months, and $108.99 per month for 18 months.

All Microsoft Surface Memberships come with Surface accessories, which include the Surface Type Cover for the Surface 3, both the Type Cover and pen for the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Pen for the Surface Book. Members will also get phone and in-store tech support, one-on-one personal training, in-store discounts on future hardware and software and the Microsoft Complete for Business Extended Service Plan with accidental damage. Finally, users will be able to upgrade to the latest Surface devices when they launch.

Apple announced the iPhone Upgrade Plan last year alongside the iPhone 6s, allowing customers to pay a monthly fee for their devices and upgrade every year. Apple's plan is also limited to iPhones and does not include discounts for future hardware, though it does include AppleCare+. However, Apple's plan is open to all sorts of customers rather than just business users.

Microsoft isn't the first company to follow Apple's lead in device upgrade plans. Shortly after Apple announced the iPhone Upgrade Plan, Samsung began planning an upgrade plan for its Galaxy phones, officially launching the service in March 2016.

Article Link: Microsoft Takes Inspiration from Apple, Launches Surface Upgrade Plan for Businesses

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
First question in my head when reading the title:
Does Microsoft ever bother recycling those outdated computers?

Comment

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Oww dear. Apple is not the first company to offer upgrade plans, but sure that headline will work much better. Everyone is copying the iPhone plan for non business ;) evil Microsoft .

Last edited:
Comment

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Clickbait title... I really don't see the need to bash the compatition when it does something that make sense....and that was not invented by Apple....

Did Apple copy anyone when they subsidized their iPhones (or should I say iPhone devices)?

Comment

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Great.. Always being locked in to a payment plan. Doesnt anyone know how to save for what they want and use it for a decent amount of time? Or are we all bored of our new devices after 8 minutes and need a new iPhone or tablet every year?!

Reactions: nvmls and Shirasaki
Comment

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
Year upgrades every 5mins are crazy, a friend of mine has 3 iPhones and 4 iPods plus 2 Apple laptops.
I still have an iPod touch, rarely used much other than for podcasts, and an ipad2 that is still in daily use after I think 5 years although quite slow still does the internet / angry birds / email / weather thing very well. My LG G optimus phone which I love btw is 3yrs old and like new and going great, and a 2011 MacBook air.
I'm likely to go crazy this year on new Apple gear as feeling their age as they all overloaded.
I'm sure if I backed up all the important stuff and clean installed all would all be as new, but where's the fun in that??

Comment

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Holy hell, did I just read that title correctly? Inspiration from Apple?

Now usually, I really love MacRumors, I mean... Look at how active I am on here and how I've been a member for quite some time now, but I really hate to say that I feel the quality of articles and writing has gone South a lot in the last 1-2 years.
I realize that you can't pull news where there are no news, so... lack of Mac rumors? Sucks, but it's not your fault.
Headlines like these however or the ever so frequent update on every damn Watch band seem a bit weird to me.

Really, I love this place a lot, even when we're having our little fights here in the forum sometimes, when all it's in good spirit and mutual respect, but this has been bugging me for some time now.

First question in my head when reading the title:
Does Microsoft ever bother recycling those outdated computers?
Pretty sure they would, it's amazing how valuable a computer can be going by mere crude materials.

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:
Comment

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
Please Apple! Do this with all your products. I would love to get the latest every time!

Comment

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Great.. Always being locked in to a payment plan. Doesnt anyone know how to save for what they want and use it for a decent amount of time?

If you've actually run a business, you know there's no such thing as saving money from one year to the next. The strictest is the Federal Government. You cannot commit or retain money across fiscal years without the permission of Congress. Tax and accounting rules mean that if you say a computer is good for 3 years, you really should replace it after 3 years.

Leasing a computer like this saves a lot of accounting hassles for businesses.

Comment

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
If you've actually run a business, you know there's no such thing as saving money from one year to the next. The strictest is the Federal Government. You cannot commit or retain money across fiscal years without the permission of Congress. Tax and accounting rules mean that if you say a computer is good for 3 years, you really should replace it after 3 years.

Leasing a computer like this saves a lot of accounting hassles for businesses.
I don't think you read a single word that I wrote.

Comment

WhatUp?

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2016
Did Microsoft also take inspiration when they copied the Apple Store?
Every time I walk into a Microsoft store, it's so deserted, I picture tumbleweeds rolling through.

Comment

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
So, I like the idea and was looking at getting a new surface pro 4. I have the original and love it, just that it is now 3 gen's old. Time for an upgrade. So, it seems that Microsft is giving you the Device, Keyboard, and MS Complete Accident Protection, oh, and an INTEREST PAYMENT too. Apple's upgrade plan is, correct me if I am wrong, interest free. Based on my calcuations, MS is charging (17.05% on 18 month term, 22.36% on 24 month term, 27.39% on the 30 month term). These are just rough guess based on one device i looked at getting compared to buying it out right. Anyway, no thanks to MS, I have CC that have way better rates then 17%..

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.