MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

ZDNet reports that Microsoft is planning to open a number of retail stores in close proximity to existing Apple Stores later this year. While the stores will reportedly be designed more to "showcase" Microsoft products and build brand awareness than to serve as retail distribution points, the move continues the aggressive attacks on Apple by Microsoft begun with its recent "Laptop Hunters" and Zune Pass commercials.
Microsoft is planning to open the first of its planned retail stores next to existing Apple stores this fall.

Kevin Turner, Microsoft's Chief Operating Officer, told partners the news during his Worldwide Partner Conference keynote on July 15. A number of attendees tweeted Turner's words immediately.

Microsoft officials announced in February that Microsoft was planning to open retail stores but have offered few details since that time as to what the stores would look like or when they'd open. I did hear from some Softies that the stores wouldn't be clones of Apple's, and that they'd be more showcases than actual retail outlets.
Microsoft's previous attempt at the retail store concept consisted of a single location opened in June 1999 in San Francisco's Sony Metreon shopping center. Hampered by its location in a tech-focused shopping center that never lived up to Sony's plans, the "microsoftSF" store closed in late 2001. Rumors of Microsoft returning to the retail store market surfaced early last year, but the company remained silent on the topic until its February announcement.

Article Link: Microsoft Targeting Apple Stores With New Retail Store Concept

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Same path as Gateway?

I remember when Apple stores were first announced, and everyone was expecting failure like Gateway. We'll see, but retail requires a certain caché, and MS has not been known for that.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Seems like a complete waste of money for MS. They're not even going to actually SELL anything ?

LOL

If they were smart...partner with a few PC partners.....then the rest just their software I guess.

Zune area? Xbox360 area? Smartphones?

There are things they could put....but partnerships with other companies would make sense.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
So Microsoft is going to dig into its deep pockets and open stores next to Apple stores. Only the Microsoft stores won't be selling anything?

Did I get that right?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
This is just the confirmation of the end for these losers and their moronic followers. Once more they prove that innovation and originality are words that do NOT exist in MS's monopolistic dictionary.

MS IS DEAD. AND BURIED SIX FEET UNDER BY APPLE'S MIGHT.

Best smartphone on the planet: iPhone;
Best media players on planet: iPods;
Best OS on the planet: Mac OS X;
Best digital media and apps store: iTMS/App Store;
Best personal computers: Macs.

Bring it on, MS. You fail again.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Interesting...

I wonder if they'll be selling MS branded goods exclusively or if they'll be working with partners to offer hardware solutions?

kennycheng93

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
next to existing Apple stores??

They are going to open stores next to existing Apple stores? How are they going to do that if no spaces are available?

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
ROFLLLL Microsoft <3.... come on guys everyone knows that HP/Dell or ASUS or somebody is going to chip in and have Microsoft sell there computers in the store.

This is just the confirmation of the end for these losers and their moronic followers. Once more they prove that innovation and originality are words that do NOT exist in MS's monopolistic dictionary.

MS IS DEAD. AND BURIED SIX FEET UNDER BY APPLE'S MIGHT.

Best smartphone on the planet: iPhone;
Best media players on planet: iPods;
Best OS on the planet: Mac OS X;
Best digital media and apps store: iTMS/App Store;
Best personal computers: Macs.

Bring it on, MS. You fail again.

I disagree... I like Windows 7 more then Mac OS X leopard... I think the best digital media and app store is limewire and the best personal computer is one that can satisfy you needs. I do agree that the iPhone and the best media player is the ipod at the given moment, Zune HD looks interesting.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Wow... so Microsoft is going to open highly expensive (Apple doesn't open stores in cheap areas very often) non-stores, selling non-products (or products you can buy all over the place) to compete with Apple. Somehow I picture a rather dismal IT-smelling store showcasing products that only make Microsoft developers excited, contrasting sharply with the sexy consumer-oriented products in the Apple Store.

This will be a money-hemorrhaging Apple advertisement...

Haha!

Anyone else excited to see what the store designs will be like..?
I mean, MS isn't really known for looks/design.
Hell, I'm looking forward to seeing it...

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Wait... they are deliberately opening up MS stores *next* to Apple stores?
I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. Do they think that consumers will see the Microsoft store next door and choose that store instead of Apple?

I suppose it could make it easier for those that want to buy a Mac and then go right next door to purchase Vista or Windows7 for BootCamp, but other than that, I don't understand this strategy.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I will be first in line

I can't wait to bring my DELL and bitch on their "Moron" bar. I mean that must be what it will be called right? Apple has the "Genius" bar, Microsoft will have a "Moron" bar. :p

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
Why would Microsoft even need retail stores? :confused:

It's an honest question. Apple's retail stores are their biggest way of bringing their otherwise-niche product to potential customers.

Microsoft has no "potential" customers. The entire human race is basically their customer base already. Microsoft and its products are literally everywhere! The average human is touched by Steve Ballmer in one way or another every day. :eek: Most people already use Windows, and are familiar with it to the point where anything without a Start menu is alien.

It's like McDonalds' billboards. Really no need for them, because it's a given that there's going to be a McDonalds in that town anyway. :rolleyes:

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
So if this store is more to 'showcase' products than 'selling' products, does that mean it's actually a store? or just a gallery? If the latter, it won't even be able to TOUCH apple.

Microsoft's previous attempt at the retail store concept consisted of a single location opened in June 1999 in San Francisco's Sony Metreon shopping center. Hampered by its location in a tech-focused shopping center that never lived up to Sony's plans, the "microsoftSF" store closed in late 2001.

This time next year I will predict I'll be feeling deja vu.

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Haha!

Anyone else excited to see what the store designs will be like..?
I mean, MS isn't really known for looks/design.

edit - I'm expecting maroon carpeting

Green Carpet, the wallpaper will be a green hill against the sky.

crackintosh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
They will have to devote a whole wall to different versions of windows 7 that you can buy. Further confusing consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.