Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lengold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
I wonder if there is someone out there that can help me?
I cannot log in to my personal Teams account and just get these blank log in pages (see pic). I can log into my nhs account without a problem.
I have searched over the internet and other people seem to have fixed this issue by deleting all cache files, deleting the application support files, totally uninstalling and reinstalling etc. None of these fixes work for me.
I can log in normally on my iPad and my wife’s mac laptop.
This issue started when I put a wrong password by mistake into my personal account.
I have even created a new (additional) personal account and that will not work either. The only account I can log in to is my nhs account.
Seems to be at the Microsoft end (authentication?) rather than software?
Could it be an OS issue, I cannot upgrade my mac from 10.11.6 because it is too old (mac pro 3,1).
I have updated Teams to the latest version (I think, although it always shows the same version number after updating).
Any advice would be appreciated, I have spent many hours trying to resolve this as I need to use Teams for other meetings besides my work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.28.26.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.28.26.png
    756.7 KB · Views: 134

javanate

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
Not sure how to fix the app, but you can use the browser version, it's all I ever use. In a browser you can only log into one account at a time, even in separate tabs. If you have 2 accounts you can create another profile in chrome, or use a private window, to use 2 accounts.

Lengold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Not sure how to fix the app, but you can use the browser version, it's all I ever use. In a browser you can only log into one account at a time, even in separate tabs. If you have 2 accounts you can create another profile in chrome, or use a private window, to use 2 accounts.
Thanks Javanate, it used to work fine. I am not a fan of the web app as it has less functionality.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Have you tried making a new account on your Mac and trying from that?

If that works then I would delete Teams using something like App Cleaner while logged in to the problematic account. This will get rid of a residual configuration and support artifacts. Then reinstall Teams.

Lengold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Have you tried making a new account on your Mac and trying from that?

If that works then I would delete Teams using something like App Cleaner while logged in to the problematic account. This will get rid of a residual configuration and support artifacts. Then reinstall Teams.
Hello svenmany - I have created 2 new accounts and they both work via the web app and on other computers. I just tried uninstalling the Teams Desktop App again (whilst logged in to the problem account in the web app), this time using AppCleaner as you suggested and then re-installed. Still no change at all, can still only sign in to my work (nhs) account. This is baffling. Many thanks for trying to help.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Hello svenmany - I have created 2 new accounts and they both work via the web app and on other computers. I just tried uninstalling the Teams Desktop App again (whilst logged in to the problem account in the web app), this time using AppCleaner as you suggested and then re-installed. Still no change at all, can still only sign in to my work (nhs) account. This is baffling. Many thanks for trying to help.

I'm probably being dense (my wife says I always am). I understand you to be saying you made 2 new Teams account. If that's what you did, that's different than what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting you create a new Mac login account in System Preferences/User and Groups. Then run Teams while logged in to that account.

My reasoning is simply that a new user account gets a brand new ~/Library directory and might be lacking some problematic stuff. Also, it will have new Keychain entries, so any problems there would also go away.

Did you already do that?

Lengold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
I'm probably being dense (my wife says I always am). I understand you to be saying you made 2 new Teams account. If that's what you did, that's different than what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting you create a new Mac login account in System Preferences/User and Groups. Then run Teams while logged in to that account.

My reasoning is simply that a new user account gets a brand new ~/Library directory and might be lacking some problematic stuff. Also, it will have new Keychain entries, so any problems there would also go away.

Did you already do that?
No, it's me being dense. I thought that maybe you were thinking that it's taking some sort of info from the browser cache. Yes I did try a new mac user account the other day and it made no difference. This is one of the most weird problems I've ever come across and there have been many. By the way just updated the App - now version 1.4.00.8872. Still no difference.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Is there any chance that when you made the new Mac account, you logged in to the same iCloud account? My Keychain shows that Teams stores an access token in my iCloud Keychain.

Lengold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Is there any chance that when you made the new Mac account, you logged in to the same iCloud account? My Keychain shows that Teams stores an access token in my iCloud Keychain.
Thanks - I have tried deleting the keychain previously, made no change. It is modified every time there is a password attempt. I don't even get to the password entry screen, just user name.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I wish I knew more about the authentication technique used to be of help. (assuming it's authentication related)

I'll give one more piece of information that might be food for thought. I have two keychain entries. One seems to update regularly; it's named "Microsoft Teams Identities Cache" and it's in my login keychain. I see that it was updated just under an hour ago and I've done nothing with Teams since this morning, other than leave it running. The other keychain entry is named cryptically but starting with "accesstoken" and that is in my iCloud keychain. That hasn't been modified in a long time - since January.

I guess the cache one can be recreated anytime since that's typical of a cache. Also, I suspect new cached values are constantly being stored, which is why I see updates.

Oh well, best of luck.

Lengold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
I only have the "Microsoft Teams Identities Cache", I can't find any keychain starting with "accesstoken". Might just be that you are on a later OS mine is stuck at 10.11.6. Interesting but not sure where that takes me. Really appreciate your help.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Yeah, I'm on the latest as of today 11.2.3.

I have a nagging feeling that the accesstoken is what the Teams application itself uses to authenticate to the server. There are plenty of web references about how to get an access token for your own application to talk to the Teams server. I wonder if the access token is necessary and, if it is, why you don't have one. But, it's probably a red herring.

I'm sure you've run across this: https://www.uvm.edu/it/kb/article/clearing-teams-cache/, which suggests that the cache keychain entry can be dumped at any time and you'll be prompted for the password. Since that's not happening, something is stopping the application from getting that far.

Have you checked the console?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
So if you are familiar with the terminal, this can be easy. The Console application itself is hard for me.

I started Teams. Let it reach a stable state. Then I ran

Bash:
log show --predicate='process == "Teams"' --last 1m --debug --info

I got a lot of useful information, but no errors. You might see errors.

If you aren't familiar with the terminal, this could be painful approach to sorting out the problem.

Lengold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
I have tried deleting the only keychain I can find. "Access Token" is way above my knowledge as is understanding console. I've tried all the 'clearing caches' websites including the one you found. I copied the text you gave me for terminal but it just said 'command not found'. I wish these companies had someone you could actually speak to!

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Best of luck to you. I'm sorry I couldn't help. If I think of anything, I'll chime in again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.