Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
now? getting bloated and crazy. pages are cluttered since you can move stuff around. apps all over the place, and the news feed is stupid.

I think the news feed is a great idea. It actually makes FaceBook more capable of allowing social interaction to occur. With Friendster, what do people do?

1. Log in.
2. .....?
3. Check random friends to see what has changed (?)

People don't use it to message other people. People just go there to perv at photos of girls, and leave dumbass remarks. With FaceBook, I'm glad you can't.

However, I could also do without the apps. They don't really clutter it up that badly. I still think it's rather streamlined when compared to Friendster and Myspace, Hi5, etc. They don't have a music spotlight on pop bands, rap stars, etc. They don't have really bad wallpapers or music launching automatically from profiles (which causes Safari to crash, at times). It's still rather plane, which is a positive feature. There's just some apps that get in the way. I dislike them, but at least they're not gaudy.

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
Well Facebook has already started going downhill with all the "Applications" anyway, so I can't say I'll be disappointed if this happens. It was cool at first, but now facebook has gone too far and gotten too big, I'm getting tired of it very fast, so if MS buys it I will abandon it and never look back.

yeh i'm going to have to agree with you on that one. definitely a fan of the original

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
I think facebook is really spinning out of control, fast. The news feed is annoying and un-customizable. I really don't want to know what xxx and yyy wrote on zzz's wall. It might be useful if you can limit it to only the people you want, so you don't have to know what people that you don't really talk to are doing. I agree the applications are so freakin' annoying! Facebook is no longer clean. Soon enough, there will be customizable skin and everyone will change the font on their page! It's a way to get in touch with your friends, not a decorating challenge! Argh i really don't do much on facebook anymore... i guess if things are getting worse it might be time to move on to something else.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I never bothered with facebook. I don't even like myspace and am rarely on anymore. I'm sure something will pop up to take their places as they continue to piss people off, but eventually that will suck too. Look at TV Tome.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Facebook's gone downhill lately with all this Application nonsense. The original appeal of Facebook over Myspace is now lost because it is no longer pristine and neat, it's just a mess of Myspace-wannabe-crap. There should be an option to hide all applications of people, that would appease both idiots that want apps and the rest of us that can't stand seeing that garbage!

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
If Microsoft does end up buying Facebook, I will close my account. Though I probably won't have to. I'll probably get banned for the groups I'm a member of:

The Apple Mac Appreciation Society
Microsoft Software Sucks
I Love My Macintosh
MacRumors

I'll probably have MS hit-men after me because of #2. :eek:

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Nah they won't sell out. Mark Zuckerberg has flirted with companies who want to buy him out for a long time.

Microsoft would ruin facebook, anyway. Unfortunately, all of my friends are on facebook and it's a big part of the college social scene. We'll see...

I think if facebook gets ruined by microsuck and made undesirable, another, comparable service will pop up, with the simplicity and exclusivity of the original facebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.