Microsoft to phase out unsuccessful Zune player

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Bosunsfate, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Bosunsfate macrumors 6502

Just got this from Reuters

SEATTLE, March 14 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp is not planning any more versions of its unpopular Zune digital media player, but is to continue offering music and video using the same software online, through its Xbox game console and on its Windows phones.

The decision not to further develop the handheld device effectively ends Microsoft's 4-1/2-year bid to unseat Apple Inc's iPod, which revolutionized the portable music market in 2001.

"We have nothing to announce about another Zune device," a Microsoft spokesman said in an emailed response to questions about the Zune. Bloomberg earlier reported that the company had decided to stop producing them.

He said Zune devices would still be supported in North America, and that Zune software would play a part in Microsoft's other offerings.

"Our long-term strategy focuses on the strength of the entire Zune ecosystem across Microsoft platforms, and we remain committed to providing a great music and video experience with the Zune service."

Microsoft's two Zune player models are still available, at discounted prices, on the company's shopping website. The 16 gigabyte version costs $170 and the 32 gigabyte version costs $200, one-third cheaper than a comparable iPod Touch.

The devices, which have a small but devoted fan base, play music and video downloaded via the Zune Marketplace, Microsoft's answer to Apple's iTunes.

Many technology experts regard the Zune as a superior product to Apple's iPod, but analysts agree that it came five years too late to unseat Apple's commanding lead in the music market. (Reporting by Bill Rigby; Editing by Gary Hill)

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

3. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

something better than the ipod. The UI was A LOT better, along with the software. Itunes is crap compared to it. MS was waaay too late to the game. Luckily Android picked up where it left off.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sounds like an opinion. The only thing I know what a lot of people want is a subscription plan.

5. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Omg, so you think it's possible the Xoom will die even if it's so much better than the iPad? :eek:

Or do you think it's too xoon to say something like that?

6. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say so. UI and UX on Zune is horrible, just like most Microsoft related apps and products. If what you say is true then the Zune would be successful as the iPod when apparently it's not hence why MS chooses to drop the hardware all together.

7. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

So, the Zune is dead. Doesn't give much hope for prospective Windows Phone 7 customers. If I was considering a Windows Phone, I would definatly think a couple more times after learning this. M$ just can't seem to make it in the mobile space.

8. RenoG macrumors 65816

Didn't we see this coming when it was released....well I did.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I imagine part of the Zune's failure is that it was (IIRC) only released in America. I may have considered one if they released it in the UK. Unless they did and it just totally went under the radar.

10. pedrocasilva macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

And hence Bill Gates sons were able to have iPods.

11. mlambert890 macrumors newbie

So based on your odd logic, how do you explain MSFT existing at all? Apple is successful, in your world view, because of superior UX/UI. Yet in desktop OS, MSFT destroyed Apple for decades. I am *sure* you won't attribute that to "superior UX/UI" since you claim "most MSFT related apps and products" are "horrible".

Let me guess... Evil conspiracy and/or some sort of foul play right? With the volume of information on the web, and the generally disgusting behavior of *all* corporations, it's always kind of amazing to me how any one of them can inspire almost religious loyalty.

You'll find that you are in an *extreme* minority in thinking the Zune UI/UX is "horrible". Almost no one thinks that.

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

13. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

This is an Apple forum, and we are getting multiple thread posts for zune? A) we all heard about this days ago. And, B) Survival of the fittest... zune never matched up, if it's so great, why'd they pull it?

14. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Lol. I had forgotten about that.