Microsoft tortures me

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fernandovalente, Jun 3, 2010.

1. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

That's incredible how Microsoft still tortures me. Their products suck at all. I don't use any of them, but I still get problems because of them. I'm developing an website to a customer. He wants lots of AJAX, animations and all that stuff. Also, it must pass on the W3C validator. Do I need to say it doesn't work on IE 7?

I can't understand what's their ****ing damn problem! Why make something bad when you can make something good?

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I know you're mostly venting, but it terms of getting things working in IE6/7 when there's a bit of AJAX and the like going on, using a library like jQuery makes the process much easier on you. They've already done a lot of the hard work dealing with compatibility issues so leverage that asset. It's rare that I come across something that I can't get working in IE, even if it's a pain to do.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I agree, wholeheartedly.

As to why, besides the excellent features, plugins and coolness associated with the ready event startup, the API is very well written using or improving upon DOM standards which helps with most cross browser compatibility issues.

There are other frameworks you might explore as well, each compared here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_JavaScript_frameworks

-jim

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, jquery for the psuedo selectors and if you're using the strict doctype. The only ie7 bug I've had to worry about has been position:fixed without zindex. And to fix that you just add a zindex.