Microsoft turns 40

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Apr 4, 2015.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Love them or hate them, MS turns 40 today. They were and continue to be a driving force in the computer industry.

Without them, there would be no MS Dos, Windows, Office, and a myriad of other products.

They created Excel for Apple, which helped put the Macintosh on the map. They invested 150 million dollars in Apple in 1997. By some accounts this gave apple the capital needed to keep going and reorganize into the juggernaut they are now.

Of course they used their market dominance to crush competition in an illegal manner and things aren't all rosy with them right now but they are turning 40 and produce so much for the computer world.

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I have not been a big fan of MS. Their OS was/is a nightmare. I started to use MS Office from the 2000s after my favorite word processors were not upgraded/continued.

What was/is positive for me from MS:

1. My first professional ergonomic keyboard in the late 90s.
    2. My first favorite mouse was Microsoft's also in the late 90s.
    3. MS Office Mac. Can't live w/o it.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Happy birthday Microsoft. Here's the last 35 years.

[​IMG]

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My most used Microsoft programs throughout the years were Paintbrush/Paint and Write/WordPad, later on Internet Explorer in Windows 95 onwards. Windows Mobile was great too, and so is Windows Phone.

5. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Interesting graphic. If I'm reading it correctly, Apple aren't as 'sector dominant' as Microsoft were either side of a mysterious millennial blip?

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have and continue to like a lot of Microsoft technologies. I still remember what was a pet project over at MS - Visual Basic. That in of itself allowed so many people to develop apps for windows that wouldn't normally do so.

My first programming language was GW Basic and then I moved on to MASM, Microsoft's assembler

7. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Time flies! I still have Windows 3.1 on an old laptop.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It does. I think I still have my first Laptop that ran MS-DOS. It was a Rein Elektronik 300 SLC. And it was made in Japan!

Attached Files:

9. ravenvii, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah -- Microsoft basically used to control the amount of marketshare that they and Apple currently both control today.

It's insane how much control over the entire technology sector IBM used to have back in the early 80's. None of today's companies come even close.

That mysterious millennial blip isn't mysterious -- that was the dot-com bubble bursting. A lot of **** went down for Microsoft around that time, too -- the anti-trust trials, Windows ME, ...

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Agree 100%. And I think personnel don't get enough credit. The engineers and designers working at Apple and particularly Microsoft in the early days were some of the smartest people on the planet towards the end of century. I think Steve Ballmer gets a lot of heat too. While definitely unconventional during his keynotes he was probably one of the most outwardly enthusiastic CEOs of any technology company. In addition, I think he tripled Microsofts revenues between 2000 and 2010 (i don't know the exact numbers but it's something like that).

He was just in the unfortunate position of having to be compared to Steve Jobs during the iPod, iPhone, and iPad part of Apple's history (00s).

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

People like to make fun of Mr. Ballmer but he is one of the grand old men of the modern computing era and is a true believer in the MS platform, I'm actually sad to see him out of action.

12. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Best programs ever that came out of Microsoft:

Age of Empires

OneNote

I am note sure, but is OneNote totally a Microsoft creation?

If it is, one of the few programs from them that they actually created that was any good. Many others here might know. I talked to one of the creators of Microsoft 6 back in the day and he said OneNote has crazy and complex coding, very different from Word...

13. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Microsoft's place in the world is critically important. No single company did more to advance software development.