Microsoft Unveils Mac Office 2008 Packages, Pricing

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The product will come in three flavors. The standard version, known simply as Office 2008 for Mac, includes PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Entourage and will sell for $399. A $499 Special Media Edition also includes Expression Media, a digital media cataloguing program that Microsoft acquired from its 2006 purchase of iView Multimedia.

Both the Special Media Edition and the standard Office for Mac also include the ability to connect to an Exchange Server, as well as some actions for Automator, Mac OS X's built-in scripting tool.
Read the entire article here

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Expression Media? Interesting! I wonder whether we'll eventually get Blend too.

I expect that I'll get Office for free from work anyway :D

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Read the entire article here
Wow 400$ for the regular version and 500$ for the "special" media edition...

Thank God my mom is a student... However when they say:
Microsoft is also launching a tech guarantee program under which people who buy Office 2004 between now and March 15 will be able to upgrade to the comparable version of Office 2008 for only the cost of shipping and handling, around $10.
When they say comparable version, I'm guessing I can buy a student version of MS Office 2004 for the Mac for around 60$ then upgrade to 2008 for 10$ extra? Now I'm not the kind of guy who milks out companies or anyone but his is Microsoft... lol

Anyways, I'll be getting 2004 for free from my mom's work... So if I get that do you think I can upgrade to '08? lol

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I love my site license. Even the home/student version doesn't look that bad.
If you have access to a Site license, it must mean you should at least get access to the Standard and Special SKUs which both include the Exchange support through Entourage 2008. Microsoft needs to beef up the SKU values though, with the loss of Virtual PC which came with Office for Mac 2004 Pro Edition, the value looks like its struggling. Yes there are some nifty features in 2008 and I sure will be taking a look at it, but I think the sweet needs one more app. Its time to bring over OneNote I say.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Wow 400$ for the regular version and 500$ for the "special" media edition...

Thank God my mom is a student... However when they say:

When they say comparable version, I'm guessing I can buy a student version of MS Office 2004 for the Mac for around 60$ then upgrade to 2008 for 10$ extra? Now I'm not the kind of guy who milks out companies or anyone but his is Microsoft... lol

Anyways, I'll be getting 2004 for free from my mom's work... So if I get that do you think I can upgrade to '08? lol
I assume your mom is under a Volume License contract at work which gives her home rights/use. Then it would be assumed that if the Company gives her access to the 2008 software she should be able to upgrade her home license of it too. Remember, the license is on lease from the Company, its not hers. And if she leaves there is the issue of perpetual licensing. If I were you, I would look into getting the Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition then take advantage of the free upgrade pricing for the appropriate pricing when it comes out.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
I assume your mom is under a Volume License contract at work which gives her home rights/use. Then it would be assumed that if the Company gives her access to the 2008 software she should be able to upgrade her home license of it too. Remember, the license is on lease from the Company, its not hers. And if she leaves there is the issue of perpetual licensing. If I were you, I would look into getting the Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition then take advantage of the free upgrade pricing for the appropriate pricing when it comes out.
Yeah definitely, I have multiple ways of getting Office (legally) but the school store sells them for 64$..

So many things to buy yet so little cash... But it isn't really a company, it's more of a laboratory...

Thanks.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
What kind of Automator actions do you think they're talking about?

And I guess for the Home and Student edition, anyone can qualify, it's not just for students anymore (or people pretending to be students)? I think I remember hearing about that before, but I wasn't sure.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Expression Media? Interesting! ...
I was thinking this was Expression, but it is just a cataloging app from a different source. I am much more interested in the ability to connect to Exchange servers. Has Microsoft increased the functionality of Entourage or does it think that a cosmetic and UB upgrade to Entourage 2004 is good enough?

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
And I guess for the Home and Student edition, anyone can qualify, it's not just for students anymore (or people pretending to be students)? I think I remember hearing about that before, but I wasn't sure.
Correct; they're dropping the silly pretense of the specially priced student and teacher edition. That's why it's called "Home and Student" instead of "Student and Teacher"...

Not sure what to do, personally...$149 is a lot for something that doesn't strike me as a total necessity with all the choices we have.

Scrivener + iWork might be enough for me...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Microsoft Unveils Mac Office 2008 Packages, Pricing

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Microsoft has announced packages and pricing of their upcoming Office 2008, to be released in January.

Version:Notable Features:Price
Home and Student Edition: Contains all core Office products, but lacks Exchange support : $149.95(full version only)
Standard Edition: Core products, including Exchange support and support for Automator workflows : $399.95(full)/$239.95(upgrade)
Special Media Edition: Standard Edition plus Expression Media for Mac (Windows product link) : $499.95(full)/$299.95(upgrade)

All versions have been further localized to Danish, Finnish & Norwegian (the "Nordic Pack".)

Also announced is a new technology guarantee. Buyers of Office 2004 from here on out will be eligible for an upgrade to Office 2008 for only the cost of shipping and handling.

Article Link

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
$150 isn't bad for the Home Edition.

For my needs though... I'll stick to NeoOffice.

That Expression Media things looks kind of interesting - it appears to be the result of Microsoft buying iView Media:

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

Microsoft Expression Media is a professional asset management tool to visually catalog and organize all your digital assets for effortless retrieval and presentation, and is based on iView MediaPro 3.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
no exchange support for student edition?? wtf.

my college uses exchange.

**** microsoft

Yateball

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Can't believe they're giving a free upgrade....... I suppose they did it with XP to Vista too though.

That's awesome though, hopefully it's actually a good improvement cuz I liked 2004 quite a bit.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
so if I have Office 2004, the upgrade is free plus S&H? Can't be right.
I think it means if you buy it right now then you can get a free upgrade. Just like when Vista was announced, if you bought Windows XP they would give you a free upgrade to the equivalent edition of Vista plus shipping and handling.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i'll probably end up getting the home edition, i don't need exchange support, and really would like a better version of word/excel.

looking forward to trying it out though.
can't believe its going to take so long for release though.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Microsoft are being greddy as usual, obviously iWork 08 doesn't shake them! I think for my needs iWork 08 is fine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.