Microsoft unveils Windows 8

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by neiltc13, Jun 1, 2011.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

http://allthingsd.com/20110601/exclusive-making-sense-of-what-we-just-learned-about-windows-8/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/microsoft-unveils-windows-8-tablet-prototypes/

----------

Looks awesome. I love the UI for a tablet, but not sure how well it will translate to a desktop.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Looking forward to it. Hopefully Microsoft should bring some cool innovations. I'd love to see an expansion on Aero Peek somehow.

inb4 ltd's microsoft-suck-computers-are-a-thing-of-the-past-fire-steve-ballmer-apple-ftw-etc

3. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Y'know, Apple didn't put Mac OS on iPads for a reason. A computer OS doesn't feel right on a tablet because there is an entirely different interaction with the device. It'll be interesting to see if there is any awkwardness for tablet-users of this "Windows 8" and especially if there will be any awkwardness for PC-users, who I'm sure are going to freak out over this.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically iOS is derived from OSX so its not a completely different OS. Plus it appears that the win8 tablet OS has a completely different UI then what the desktop has. So I'd say that MS learned from its mistakes and seeing how apple succeeded.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

What makes you think the UI is dependant on the underlying OS ? All modern operating system's UI layer is a userspace process. The underlying kernel doesn't matter and if you want, the same OS can share many different UIs.

That's exactly what Apple did with OS X and iOS. The kernel and some of the non-UI userspace is the same between both and they simply made a UI layer for iOS that is different than OS X's.

6. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

I love the fact that you can switch between tile/Aero themes. You can use it as s a tablet, then switch over to MS Office with the traditional interface. It will of course be able to run on ARM processor. I can see Windows 8 tablets/netbooks by spring 2012.

7. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

As long as it's fluid, it should work on tablets with touchscreens and traditional keyboard and mouse computers. It doesn't appear to have a steep learning curve.

It's the biggest jump I have ever seen and it shows some incentive for innovation so I give MS a lot of points for that. I just hope it doesn't get bogged down by all the GUI. I look forward to seeing this OS.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

EDIT: I really should check the main page first! It has been noted there. :D

Looks very fluid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

One thing I noticed was the picture below. Could that be the reason why Microsoft is complaining about "App Store"? A potential re-brand of Windows Marketplace?

Attached Files:

9. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I have to admit, that looks exceptionally awesome!! I really love the Metro UI on phones, and it looks to adapt over very nicely to larger screens. That "Window Snap" feature is one of my favorite things about Windows 7, and it looks great, and super easy in this new version. Can't wait to see more of this.

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Wow. I love what they've done there. Microsoft have impressed me for the first time in a long time.

11. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

You have to know that Microsoft is going to produce a lightweight version for ARM processors. There is no way you can put the full Windows 8 OS on that.

12. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Have you seen videos from the presentation? They show Office running the full Windows 8 experience on ARM processors. It's pretty nice!

13. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

Seems fishy that full Office could run on ARM, what about crashes? :confused:

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you know that office is not exactly a processor intensive for the most part. Unless you are doing some major number crunching in excel it really does not suck down that much power to run it. Given that information it should not be really that surprising.

15. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

Yeah try to run Visual Studio on ARM. ;)

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Visual studio is not exactly something I think when I think of Office. Yes I know it is part of office but not part of the standard package.

17. Cha Cha Desmond macrumors newbie

Looks cool, but there's a video of the showing at Computex and the parts where Mike A. was trying to use a trackpad to access the 'touch UI' were painful to watch. They should turn off the layer for laptops in all fairness. Rather no implementation than a shoddy one.

Other than that, this is conceptually what a real tablet should be like. Great touch UI, large software ecosystem and NO reliance on another computer (or music software which starts with an 'i') for syncing and more advanced functions. So Microsoft has a ton of ingredients into this OS, but it looks like they're serving dinner and dessert on the same plate. Mid 2012 should be long enough to test and make sure it actually works as well as they think it will. Especially if they run another Beta program.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's looking like the best tablet UI (less confusing than Android, far better and more innovative than iOS), but I'm not convinced about laptop or desktop use.

19. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

What about that glorified text editor wouldn't run on ARM ? I was running Visual Studio, Microsoft Office and other such apps you keep mentionning back when my computer was a Pentium 100 with about 32 MB of RAM...

Really, what point are you trying to make ?

20. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

Can't say I like the color scheme or the flat tiles. Hopefully MSFT addresses that before RTM.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was running MASM (Microsoft assembler) and using edlin on an 8086 PC. Times and programs have changed. I suspect the visual studio you ran on a pentium is quite different then the current version (more bloat) as well as office.

22. shingi70 macrumors regular

You should be able to change the background and tile colors like you van on the phone.