Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Can anyone tell me if this impacts Office 365 at all, or what version Office 365 is for Mac? I am preparing to switch to a rMBP now and have an Office 365 subscription.
Doesn't affect Office 365 yet. It's a preview with the release version later this year. Office 365 will always feature the latest released version.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I just wish they would get a move on and finish/release the darn thing. Five years is a ridiculously long time to wait for a software update, especially when you're paying for it every month with a 365 subscription. I don't think Apple have any intention of upgrading iWork to make it a serious alternative Office.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
The Outlook 2016 Preview has been working flawlessly for me until this update. Now both my work and personal exchange accounts keep failing to connect - repeatedly asking for my passwords.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Headline should read: "Microsoft Updates Office for Mac many years too late".

Mail, Pages and Numbers may not suit power users, but they'll do for me and will hopefully only get better with time. Thank you Apple - and goodbye Microsoft.

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
I'd just wish that they would get round to giving Lync some loving too.

They are working on a new Skype for Business Mac client but not until 2016, until then they are promising quarterly updates to Lync 2011 but I doubt they will add any new features.

The Skype for Business mobile apps are not coming until later this year either.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
The colored window can actually be reverted to the old look (gray title bar) in the preferences.

I like the MS has put in both options... I can see people preferring either of them (I prefer the grey, but I'd bet my wife will prefer the blue/colored)

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I personally prefer when apps follow the UI standards set by the OS so all the apps look and feel similar.

They want people to be able to use essentially the same Microsoft Office across all platforms. Kind of hard to do when concerned with UI elements in different operating systems. Since the app can be full screen now, I don't think it matters as much anymore.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I agree... I use iWork because of its syncing but Office does this now... I really like office 2013 on Windows, but I dislike Office 2011.

I am quite used to iWork, but the 2013 update to iWork really killed a lot of it for me....

I have iworks, open office and MS office 2011 at home. I almost always use iworks and my wife ALWAYS uses MS office. We have a divided home. I agree that I wish Apple would just step up and make iworks an MS killer once and for all.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
Downloading it right now on my test MacBook Pro at work. Does anyone know if they have made improvements to public folders and handling PST files in Outlook?

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Doesn't matter. iWork wasn't even close to Office before the 'full code reset.' It's now 2015 and I haven't seen many of the features they promised would return, actually return. If they want iWork to be a true competitor to Office, they have a lot of work ahead of them.

As a writer, taking features from my writing software and promising them back later is just plain ****** in my eyes. And as a result, I don't use Pages for new documents anymore.
Don't get me wrong, I agree. I've hit many roadblocks with the new Pages as well. But it's a free product and for many casual users it will be more than enough. I know tons of students who bought Microsoft Office because there wasn't another option. Now they're simply using Pages, Keynote and Numbers for free.

Another reason is here in the Netherlands we can't get student deals on Microsoft Office as a purchase anymore. Instead of paying € 25 once, you're now forced to pay the same amount on a yearly basis for Office 360. Many just aren't willing to do that.

----------

OT: What is the purpose of a full code reset...?
Full compatibility with the iOS apps. And probably easier to maintain both when they're so similar.

rvinny

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
I personally prefer when apps follow the UI standards set by the OS so all the apps look and feel similar.

And I prefer when the app looks consistent across different OS's.

Po-tay-to
Po-ta-to

Kudos to MS for giving us both options in preferences.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I had been using this and originally found lots of lag along with terrible scrolling and zooming. I logged a number of different tickets in the Word preview, chief among them erratic scrolling and a lack of discrete '+' and '-' buttons for zooming in bottom right.

Nice to see they added the zoom buttons, but I can say that they improved the scrolling in some sort of hotfix prior to this most recent update. However, it still had room for improvement so I am looking forward to checking it out later.

Why is there no share options? In 2 clicks I should be able to send in a message or in an email.

Also, why didn't we get the cool caret that windows got?

Cool caret? Screenshot please?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Ugh, ill be staying with the last version off office for Mac. It was the last usable office that was produced before that horribly, productivity destroying ribbon was dreamed up by the evil people who bring hatred and pain and suffering to the world from the Microsoft UI department

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
...and a new feature called Propose New Time. Meeting attendees can propose a new time for a meeting and the meeting organizers can view the proposed time and modify meeting proposals and then send updates to all of the attendees.

While new to the Mac, this is anything but a new feature. I've been longing for this on the Mac side for many many years. Glad to see they're coming around.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I just want it to look and work like it does on Windows.

When I Google how to do something in Office, and the "answers" list menu options I don't have or buttons on the ribbon that I don't have, or other things that don't exist in the product, it makes things hard.

Product A, made by Team A. It looks and works a certain way. It gets Name A.

Product B, made by Team B. It looks different and works a different way, but also gets Name A.

Calling a bunch of programs made by a bunch of different people that work a bunch of different ways all the same Office names is stupid.

Entourage was junk, but it at least had its own name. Then they changed its name to Outlook. Does it work like Outlook? NO. They just changed the word "Entourage" to the word "Outlook" in the program. It still works like Entourage. It doesn't work like Outlook.

Reactions: OcelotWreak

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I had been using this and originally found lots of lag along with terrible scrolling and zooming. I logged a number of different tickets in the Word preview, chief among them erratic scrolling and a lack of discrete '+' and '-' buttons for zooming in bottom right.

Nice to see they added the zoom buttons, but I can say that they improved the scrolling in some sort of hotfix prior to this most recent update. However, it still had room for improvement so I am looking forward to checking it out later.

Cool caret? Screenshot please?

not the way it looks but the motion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYk4ES5Y4H4 ironically this video is misstated, its on purpose.

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Probably some project manager thought he/she had some "brilliant" idea and forced to developers to implement it...

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney

Would you say FCP X follows the standards of and looks and feels like the OS?

Apart from Apple being pretty inconsistent and increasingly unclear and flippant, apps with lots of features really have to abandon a simple OS-like interface (such as Preview app for instance) and find the best way to organise and present those functions to the user. This necessitates a departure from the OS standards to make a better app in certain instances.

Apple has never really had an entirely uniform, consistent and clear UI and bundled apps. In its latest incarnation it used translucency in strangely selective ways (such as sidebars) where it didn't really even enhance anything or provide anything useful.

Like it's apps, Apple's UI direction seems increasingly driven by fad rather than than thought and purpose. In some ways Windows 8.1 looks better than OS X now.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Has anyone checked whether Outlook finally supports Exchange Activesync in the new version? So far there is still nothing on the Mac that allows syncing Outlook.com contacts/calendars, which seems like a strange oversight on Microsoft's part ...

Also, it would be much appreciated by many if it could directly work with .pst files (as opposed to just importing them, which is a one-way street).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.