Microsoft Virtual PC Any Good?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Merv'sG5, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Merv'sG5 macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I would like to run Windows XP on my PowerMac G5 Quad Core machine so I can run the latest version off ITunes as I need to use it for my IPhone 5. I don't want to get a cheap PC as I don't have the room or want to lower myself to Windows as my everyday machine! I have been looking on the Internet for a PC emulator for my PowerMac and time and time again I come across is software called Virtual PC! Is it a good PC emulator or does anyone recommend me a different emulator? I would love to hear your feedBack on the subject!

Thanks in advance,
    Merv Stent

2. Wildy macrumors 6502

Your two options are Microsoft Virtual PC 7 and QEMU. I have a fair bit of experience with the latter, but have never used the VPC7. The general consensus though is that VPC7 is the best to use if you need to run Windows.

Plenty of people have a similar setup to you and emulate Windows for the latest version of iTunes.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

VPC is great. WinXP is super slow on it. But the problem you are going to run into is that even though you can install and run iTunes 11, the whole USB connection of your i5 is going through your PowerPC Mac. Consequently, iTunes 11 errors whenever the i5 is connected.

This is one of the things I tried when I got my i5. You may be able to get it going, IDK, but I couldn't. And it was so damn slow it just wasn't worth any more effort.