Microsoft Word 08 and Endnote X3 won't communicate. Why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scylax, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Scylax macrumors regular

I am using Microsoft Word 08 to write my essay, and the trial version of Endnote (10 days remaining) to keep my references, thinking if I like how it works for this essay I would buy the software.

So now I have the reference I need in Endnote, and my essay in Word, and I can't get them to communicate to insert the reference and format the bibliography. I looked up Endnote's help file, and it says there should be an Endnote option in the Tools menu of Word, but there isn't. There is nothing in Word's help menu about Endnote. And in Endnote, all the tools to do with Word are greyed out.

Why? I presume the trial is fully functional to let people test it? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I also am having this problem, except my copy of EndNote X3 is the full version (my uni gives all students a copy). I am using Snow Leopard, Word 2008 and EndNote X3 - all are up to date. I have given up trying to get it to work and have just gone back to referencing manually when using Mac OSX. I have no problem with EndNote on my Windows 7 partition using Office 2007.

Look forward to further information on this.

3. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Not sure about Endnote x3, but in x1, you have to make sure the "EndNote CWYW Word 2008.bundle" (from Endnote/ Citw While You Write/) is copied to the "Microsoft Office 2008/Office/Startup/Word/" folder.

4. gorjan macrumors 6502

For some reason, Endnote doesn't install properly. It didn't work for me either until I checked the manual. There's a nice description of how you can make it work.